Our Basic Hummus Without Tahini Recipe features cumin and paprika to boost the flavor of this classic dip.
If you’re like me (and a lot of other people), you love hummus but you could go without the tahini.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds which is found in traditional hummus recipes.
There are a number of reasons not to add tahini to your homemade hummus, one being it’s distinct, bold flavor. Hey, you either love it or you could live without it. I am definitely someone who falls in the latter category.
If you’re calorie conscious, another reason not to add tahini to your hummus is the fact that tahini packs 89 calories and 8 grams of fat into one tablespoon. Most traditional hummus recipes call for tahini in addition to olive or soybean oil. Omitting the tahini will save you some calories, so now you can go ahead and eat that cookie! 🙂
Lastly, by going sans tahini, your kids might actually eat hummus. I know; it sounds crazy, right? In this recipe, I’ve added cumin and paprika, ingredients traditionally found in taco seasoning. And tacos are a kid favorite (and a grown up one too).
Learn how to make it
To make this Basic Hummus Recipe Without Tahini, start by adding chickpeas, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and lemon juice to your food processor. As you begin to process, slowly add the olive oil. Continue to process until the hummus is smooth and creamy. Garnish with additional paprika and enjoy!
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika plus additional for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add chickpeas, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor.
- Begin processing on low speed.
- While processing, slowly add the olive oil.
- Process on high speed until smooth and creamy and no chunks remain. You may have to stop to scrape down the sides and continue processing.
- Once the hummus has a smooth consistency, transfer to serving bowl and garnish with additional paprika.