I’ll let you in on a little secret…
I originally made this soup in early 2014. It was one of my favorites. Then, Greg was diagnosed with IBS and could no longer have the half-and-half I used in my first version of this dish.
But wait, there’s hope…
Now that it’s fall, I’ve been craving soup in a major way. And I am a person who looooves creamy soups, like cream of mushroom, tomato bisque and all of those other dairy filled varieties.
However, I have been on a mission to recreate our favorite recipes to accommodate Greg’s dietary restrictions. At least he can still have Parmesan cheese and butter – total lifesaver, but completely off topic, so back to the point…
Since this soup already met one of his restrictions (it was already gluten-free), I set out to make it dairy-free as well.
I decided to use canned coconut milk instead of the half-and-half.
The result was amazing! The soup was even creamier than the original recipe. And the taste…well, I kept on testing and testing and testing some more…you get the picture. I couldn’t stop myself. Plus, Greg was on the phone so he wasn’t paying attention 🙂
Seriously though, the coconut milk perfectly complemented the flavors of the garlic, scallions, rosemary and parsley.
Whether you choose to make this soup with or without dairy, you won’t be disappointed.
To make this Creamy White Bean Soup, start by heating olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add scallions, garlic and beans. Stir to combine.
Add rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
Cook bean mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Then, add chicken broth and bring soup to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: You can also make this vegan by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before pureeing with an immersion blender.
Stir in coconut milk or half-and-half and return to a simmer, cooking for 5 more minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy! 🙂
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt and more to taste if desired
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and more to taste if desired
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk or half-and-half
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add scallions, garlic and beans. Stir to combine.
- Add rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring soup to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree mixture, being careful not to splash hot liquid (Make sure there are no whole or chunks of beans left).
- Stir in coconut milk or half-and-half and return to a simmer, cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy.