Orange you excited to make this recipe?
Too corny? Maybe, but the girls have been totally obsessed with knock knock jokes lately that it seems they only speak to me by starting a sentence with knock knock. Like, knock knock. Who’s there? Mommy. Mommy who? Mommy, I want dinner!
OK, OK, so let’s talk dinner. You will absolutely love how easy it is to put this dish on the table. Not to mention the fact this chicken dinner is baked, not fried. This Easy Baked Orange Chicken starts with a quick glaze made up of canned mandarin oranges, orange juice and ponzu sauce.
If you’ve never used ponzu before, it’s a mix of soy sauce and citrus (lemon or lime). I used the lemon ponzu. It’s perfect for this dish because the lemon complements the orange and the saltiness it adds is just right.
Begin the glaze by starting with a simple roux of butter and flour. Then add ponzu, orange juice and canned mandarin oranges with some of their syrup.
Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until orange pieces have broken up and liquid forms into a thicker glaze.
Once the glaze is ready, place chicken breasts into a baking dish and pour glaze over each chicken breast being sure they are fully coated.
Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until chicken is done and glaze is bubbling.
Enjoy with white or brown rice and the veggie of your choice!
Orange you glad you found this post? OK, I’ll stop now and you can go straight to the full recipe…
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce (lemon flavored)
- 1½ cups orange juice (pulp free and at room temperature)
- 1 (15 oz.) can mandarin orange segments in light syrup
- ½ cup syrup from canned mandarin oranges
- Cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Once the roux starts to bubble, turn heat to low. Whisk constantly until roux resembles a smooth paste (similar to peanut butter or cake frosting) and has a toasty aroma.
- Whisk in ponzu, mandarin orange segments, syrup and orange juice.
- Cook on medium heat, whisking occasionally, until oranges break up into bits and a glaze is formed.
- Place chicken breasts into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Pour glaze over chicken, being sure to cover each piece fully.
- Bake until glaze bubbles and chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165º F (approximately 40 minutes).