This gluten-free Lightened Up Cream of Mushroom Soup may lower in fat than the traditional version, but it’s still loaded with flavor.
If there’s one soup I can’t turn down, it’s cream of mushroom. In fact, it has been my favorite soup since childhood. When I was a kid, we would alternate having a traditional Thanksgiving with going out to dinner. The place we would go was up in North Jersey about an hour away from home. It was ultra-fancy, especially for a little girl. I remember being completely obsessed with the wine cellar. I thought it was the coolest thing. I loved it so much, I even dreamed of having my wedding there one day. Who knew that years later I would be married at a little chapel in Las Vegas?!
OK, enough about that. Back to the food talk. So aside from all the fancy-schmancy atmosphere, this restaurant had THE BEST CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP EVER!!!!
Fast forward years later and I’m still in love with this soup. The only downside is that it is not the healthiest of soup choices for one to consume with its heavy cream, butter and flour. However, I decided to take it into my own hands to create a lightened up version of this classic dish to cut both the calories and the guilt, especially right after gorging on all those Thanksgiving goodies last week (this year we did have a traditional Thanksgiving at home and boy was I missing my favorite soup).
This lightened up cream of mushroom soup features olive oil instead of butter, half-and-half instead of cream and no flour. So not only is it lower in fat, but it’s also gluten-free! I did, of course, leave in the wine for flavor. I mean, why mess with a good thing, right? Anyway, this soup is delicious as both an appetizer to your main course or alongside a healthy dinner salad.
If you’re going to make this soup, you should invest in an immersion blender (we use the Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender). It will save you so much time and extra dish washing (that right there is enough for me). It’s great because you just blend right into the pot instead of having to pour the soup into a blender and then back into the pot again.
So, there you have it. Easy peasy and delicious Lightened Up Cream of Mushroom Soup. Try some tonight 🙂
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans less-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- ½ cup dry sherry wine
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook until tender, approximately 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add thyme, pepper, salt, broth and wine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, with lid off.
- Using an immersion blender, puree mixture, being careful not to splash hot liquid (You can leave some mushroom chunks if you desire).
- Add half-and-half, stir and return to a simmer, cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy!