This creamy Risotto with Mushrooms and Peas is a hearty, vegetarian meal that is perfect for a weeknight or weekend dinner.
I am soooo excited to share this week’s Meatless Monday post with you.
Because it’s a flavorful, meatless meal that will make your mouth happy and your tummy full! 🙂
If you’ve been following our blog, then you know that Greg and I really love risotto. And, if you just happen to be visiting for the first time, feel free to check out our recipes for Basic Risotto, Tomato-Basil and Chicken Sausage Risotto, Pumpkin Risotto and Butternut Squash Risotto.
Oh, and if you’re so inclined, while you’re at it, stop by BuzzFeed and take a look at my post dedicated to the awesomeness of risotto!
Personally, I enjoy making risotto as much as I love eating it. Risotto really is such a versatile dish. It can be an appetizer, a side or the main course. You can customize it with a variety of ingredients to suit your tastes.
Greg’s love for the pairing of mushrooms and peas combined with the childhood memory of my dad’s white rice mixed with mushrooms, peas and butter led to the inspiration for this Risotto with Mushrooms and Peas.
Learn how to make it
To make it, start by warming vegetable broth in a pot. Then heat butter and olive oil in a wide pan.
Next, add minced onion and chopped mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the rice and stir until it is well coated.
Then add one ladleful of the broth until absorbed, stirring constantly. Next, add the wine and stir until absorbed. Continue to add the broth to the rice one ladleful at a time until absorbed, stirring constantly until the rice is tender and has a creamy consistency (will take about 20-25 minutes minutes from this point).
Stir in peas, Parmesan cheese, tarragon and white pepper, and cook for 2 more minutes.
Serve and enjoy! 🙂
What’s your favorite risotto? Let me know by leaving a comment below. 🙂
- 58 oz. gluten-free vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup minced sweet onion
- 12 oz. finely chopped cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 2 cups Arborio rice (not rinsed)
- 1 cup white wine (preferably Pinot Grigio)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup freshly grated vegetarian Parmesan cheese (I used BelGioioso Vegetarian Parmesan)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- Warm vegetable broth in a pot over medium to medium-high heat.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a wide pan until butter is melted.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and add the rice. Stir until the rice is well coated.
- Add one ladleful (approximately ¼ cup) of broth and stir.
- When broth is absorbed, add the wine and stir.
- Once wine is absorbed, add one ladleful of broth until it is absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Continue to add one ladleful of broth at a time to the rice and stir constantly until broth is absorbed and rice is just tender and has a creamy consistency (will take about 20-25 minutes minutes from this point).
- Once the rice is creamy and you have used all or most of your broth (you might not need it all), stir in peas, cheese, tarragon, and white pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.