Today is our 13th wedding anniversary! I can’t believe it’s been 13 years since we got married in Las Vegas at a quaint, little wedding chapel.
So, we thought what better way to celebrate than to do something we love doing together – cooking!
We decided to make Chicken Parmesan, which is one Greg’s favorite dishes. But in order to accommodate Greg’s dietary restrictions, we knew would have to make a gluten-free version of it and one without mozzarella cheese.
To make this dish gluten-free, we opted for the seasoned “4C Crumbs” that I used in my Gluten-Free Turkey Meatballs since they worked so well in that dish. Then for the cheese, we used a combination of Asiago, Parmesan and Romano.
To change things up even more, we decided to make a skillet version of this traditionally baked dish. Not only were we extremely pleased with the results, but so were the kids! 🙂
We served our Skillet Chicken Parmesan with our favorite Creamy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes. If you think that’s a weird combination, you have got to try it! I’ve been eating chicken parm with mashed potatoes since I was a kid. They are sooooo good together…I promise!
Our chicken parm recipe included an easy tomato-basil sauce made with crushed tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic.
Tender chicken, crunchy breading, cheesy topping and a rustic sauce – pure deliciousness! And it’s all made in one pan! Talk about easy!
To make this Skillet Chicken Parmesan, start by dipping chicken breasts into egg and then coating in regular or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Then heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick deep skillet. Cook the chicken over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Add a can of crushed tomatoes to the skillet. Stir in fresh basil and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until hot.
Return the chicken to the skillet and top with cheese blend. Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted.
Serve with your favorite side (I’m telling you, try it with mashed potatoes…you won’t be disappointed).
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- ¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Dip one chicken breast at a time into egg and then coat in regular or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick, deep skillet.
- Add chicken and cook over medium to medium-high heat for approximately 10 minutes on each side until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet.
- Stir in the basil and garlic.
- Cover and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and top with the cheese blend.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted (approximately 5 minutes).