OK, in case you’re wondering why there is so much going on with the name of this recipe, I will explain. These Sour Cream, Onion and Chive Mashed Potatoes came about because I couldn’t decide if I wanted to make Sour Cream and Onion Mashed Potatoes (inspired by my childhood favorite potato chip flavor) or Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes (inspired by my adulthood enjoyment of baked potatoes). Both sounded so good that I couldn’t make up my mind. So, I combined them both into one recipe.
Success! My indecisiveness led to a delicious (and creamy) new favorite side dish in our house that you’ll be sure to enjoy in yours.
In order to make this flavorful side dish, start by peeling, quartering and boiling Yukon gold potatoes. After draining, mash the potatoes first with a potato masher.
Then add butter, half-and-half and sour cream. Next, use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes for a smoother consistency.
Now stir in onion powder, fresh chives, salt and white pepper. I chose white pepper to complement the flavor of the onion and chives. Enjoy with your favorite burger!
- 2½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with one inch of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (approximately 20 minutes). Be careful not to over cook, or the potatoes will become too starchy.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot. Mash with a potato masher to make potatoes easier to work with, leaving some lumps.
- Stir in butter, half-and-half and sour cream.
- Briefly whip using a hand mixer to finish the mashing process and remove any excess lumps. This will create a smoother texture in the mashed potatoes. Be sure not to overmix or the consistency of the potatoes will become too gluey.
- Stir in chives, onion powder, white pepper and kosher salt.
- Serve and enjoy!