This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Traditional mashed potatoes get a cheesy, bacon-y makeover in this recipe for Baked Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Havarti.
*This recipe was originally published on May 2, 2017; however, some modifications have been made, including adding MORE BACON! Please note that the original story appears below.*
Just when you thought mashed potatoes couldn’t get any better, bacon joined the party! 😉
Bodacious, breathtaking, bomb-diggity bacon! OK, maybe I was reaching there with that last one, but I was going for some alliteration and all. Unfortunately, there are just no decent words to describe tasty food that start with the letter “b.” Bummer 🙁
It seems that every good food word starts with “d” like delectable, delicious, decadent and divine. I mean, maybe if I was describing doughnuts…
Anyway, these Baked Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Havarti don’t require excessive use of literary devices to emphasize their greatness. Just picture creamy, melted Havarti cheese combined with pieces of juicy, salty bacon encased in fluffy, buttery potatoes with the perfect amount of crunch on top. OK, fine, I stuck some imagery in there. What do you expect from a former language arts teacher? Moving on…
Learn how to make them
Start by preheating your oven to 425°F. Then peel and cube potatoes so that they are uniform in size. Next, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with one inch of cold water. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender but be careful not to overcook or the potatoes will become too starchy. Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot. Add butter, milk, salt and white pepper.
Use an electric hand mixer to whip potatoes.
Stir in cheese and bacon.
Spoon mashed potatoes into a 1.5-quart round casserole dish. Top with additional cheese and bacon.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
Baked Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Havarti [Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel and cube potatoes so that they are uniform in size.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with one inch of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Be careful not to overcook or the potatoes will become too starchy.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot.
- Add butter, milk, salt and white pepper and mix using a hand mixer (don't overmix).
- Set aside 1 oz. of cheese and 2 tablespoons of cooked bacon.
- Stir in the remaining cheese and bacon.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into a 1.5-quart round casserole dish.
- Top with 1 oz. of cheese and 1 oz. of bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
Craving more mashed potatoes?
Check out these recipes next:
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.