It's easy to prepare this Cheesy Broccoli Vegan Quiche using a frozen gluten-free and vegan pie crust. Enjoy a slice of this tofu-based quiche its own or with some fresh fruit or a side salad. This dairy-free, egg-free quiche is perfect for breakfast, brunch or lunch!Jump to Recipe
Quiche has always been a favorite of mine since I can remember.
I hate to admit it, but I used to buy those frozen mini quiches typically served at parties in bulk at Costco and eat like 10 of them for breakfast.
So when I set out to make a vegan version, I needed to find the perfect egg replacement.
This little block of soy has allowed me to create a delicious egg-free version of my favorite breakfast.
The first time I had a tofu quiche was at a local vegan and gluten-free bakery one day while on my lunch break.
I had shopped there before for the ridiculously amazing gluten-free cupcakes, but on that particular day, the quiche caught my eye.
It was PHENOMENAL!
So of course, I just had to make one myself.
What ingredients are in the quiche filling?
For the tofu base, I opted for silken tofu due to its soft consistency and "egg-like" texture.
My favorite brands are Nasoya, 365 and Greenwise.
However, if you prefer a firmer texture, you can use firm tofu instead.
For the cheesy flavor, I used a combination of nutritional yeast and vegan cheddar-style shreds.
Other ingredients include:
- Olive Oil (for cooking the broccoli and onion)
- Soy Milk
- Mustard Powder
- Salt & Pepper
What's the best gluten-free pie crust to use?
I'll be honest. It is very difficult to find a store-bought gluten-free AND vegan pie crust.
My go-to is the Wholly Wholesome gluten-free pie crust, which is not only certified as gluten-free but is also certified vegan.
Of course, you can use your favorite brand of pie crust, or you can even make your own if you so desire.
And, if you're not gluten-free, you can just use a traditional frozen pie crust.
How to make this vegan broccoli quiche - step by step
Start by preheating your oven to 400° F.
Remove the pie crust from the freezer and allow to thaw while the oven is preheating.
When the oven is preheated, place the pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
When done, remove pie crust from the oven and lower the heat to 375° F.
While the pie crust is in the oven, drain the excess water from the silken tofu.
To do so, remove the tofu from the package and place on a plate.
Leave the tofu on the plate for 5-10 minutes.
Then, carefully hold onto the tofu and tilt the plate over the sink to drain the water off the plate.
While the tofu is draining on the plate, heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet.
Add broccoli and onion plus salt to taste.
Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the broccoli is soft and the onion pieces are translucent.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Next, add the tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper to your food processor.
Process on low, scraping down the sides as needed.
Process on low until smooth.
Add the tofu mixture, broccoli and onion mixture and cheddar-style shreds to a mixing bowl.
Use a spoon or silicone spatula to mix the ingredients until well-combined.
Pour the combined mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
Bake on 375° F for 40-55 minutes until the quiche is set.
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on before slicing and serving.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes! If you are going to be using frozen broccoli, you will first need to bring it to room temperature.
You can microwave it on the defrost setting in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, for approximately 2-3 minutes.
Alternatively, you can place the frozen broccoli in a sealed zip top bag and cover with cold water until defrosted.
Can the broccoli be substituted with other veggies?
Yes! I've actually tried it with diced butternut squash (fresh and frozen) as well as frozen cut leaf spinach.
You can use a 12-oz. bag of either of these, and keep all of the other ingredients and measurements the same.
Just be sure to defrost the veggies first before cooking them with the onion.
Also, if you're using frozen spinach, make sure you squeeze out the excess water after defrosting or the quiche will become watery.
Storing and reheating
Cover the quiche tightly with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leftover quiche is best enjoyed reheated in the oven on 375°F until warmed throughout, but you can microwave as well if desired.
Cheesy Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- 1 9-inch gluten-free, vegan frozen pie crust (I used Wholly Wholesome brand; if you are not gluten-free, you can use a non-GF, vegan frozen pie crust)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets, fresh or *frozen and brought to room temperature, chopped into smaller pieces if desired
- ½ cup chopped onion (yellow or sweet)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 16 oz silken tofu (refrigerated or shelf-stable version such as MORI-NU brand), **excess water drained (+See notes below for using firm tofu instead)
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened soy milk (++See notes below regarding using a different type of milk)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegan cheddar-style shreds
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove the pie crust from the freezer and allow to thaw while the oven is preheating. Once oven is preheated, place pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. When done, remove pie shell from the oven and lower the heat to 375° F.
- While the pie crust is pre-baking in the oven, heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Add broccoli and onion plus kosher salt to taste. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the broccoli is soft and the onion pieces are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper and additional kosher salt to taste to your food processor. Process on low until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the tofu mixture, broccoli and onion mixture and cheddar-style shreds to a mixing bowl. Use a spoon or silicone spatula to mix the ingredients until well-combined.
- Pour the combined mixture into the pre-baked pie crust and bake on 375° F for 40-55 minutes (see notes below regarding cooking time) until the quiche is set. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet before slicing and serving.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.