This Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp is a perfect treat for both your gluten-free and non-gluten-free guests this holiday season.
It’s officially one week until Christmas! I can’t even believe it, but it’s true.
And if you are still shopping, wrapping, recovering from your office holiday party or all of the above, you probably haven’t planned your Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dessert yet.
That’s where this Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp comes in. If you or someone in your family is gluten-free, this is the dessert for you to make this holiday season! It will satisfy the taste buds of all your guests, both gluten-free and non-gluten-free alike.
How do I know?
Because I made this for Thanksgiving! And it was a hit with the whole family!
Sweet apple and pear filling with a crispy oatmeal-pecan-almond topping, what’s not to love? ♥
So, to go off topic for a moment, we have been very busy with our Christmas decorations (Greg thinks he’s Clark Griswold). We even entered the town wide decorating contest. And, Greg is already planning his display for next year. Check out our work and let us know what you think. 🙂
Just had to throw that in there. Now we’ll get back to the recipe…
Learn how to make it
To make this Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp, start by preheating your oven to 350°F.
Add gluten-free flour, organic cane sugar, organic light brown sugar, gluten-free oats and butter to a large bowl. Use your hands or a hand mixer with the dough hooks on medium speed to combine.
Stir in chopped pecans and slivered almonds and set aside.
Peel, core, and cut the apples and pears into chunks and place into a large bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, gluten-free flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and use your hands to incorporate into the fruit.
Pour into a 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
Place the baking dish in the oven on the center rack and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, until fruit is bubbling and topping has browned.
Apple pear crisp will be piping hot. Let stand for approximately 10-15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers and serve by warming in the microwave.
This Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp was adapted from Ina Garten’s Apple Pear Crisp.
Gluten-Free Apple Pear Crisp
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour I used Bob’s Red Mill "Gluten Free, All Purpose Baking Flour"
- 1 cup organic cane sugar (I used Wholesome brand)
- 1 cup organic light brown sugar (I used Wholesome brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 16 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks (equivalent to 1 cup or 2 sticks)
- ½ cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup slivered almonds (coarsely chopped)
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 3/4 pounds Granny Smith apples (approximately 3-4 apples)
- 1 1/2 pounds Anjou pears (approximately 3 pears)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (I used Wholesome brand)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add all topping ingredients with the exception of the nuts to a large bowl. Use your hands or a hand mixer with the dough hooks on medium speed to combine. Ingredients should be evenly incorporated and mixture should be crumbly. Stir in the nuts. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples and pears into chunks. Add fruit chunks to a large bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, gluten-free flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use your hands to incorporate ingredients into the fruit. Pour into a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Place the baking dish in the oven on the center rack and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, until fruit is bubbling and topping has browned.
- Apple pear crisp will be piping hot. Let stand for approximately 10-15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers and serve by warming in the microwave.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.