This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Liven up your leftovers with these Gluten-Free Cheese-Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls. Top with Caesar dressing and fresh parsley for an amazing appetizer.
I’m going to start this post with a bit of literary entertainment in the form of a poem I’d like to call “Ode to Cheese.”
Oh, cheese, how do I love thee?
Let me count the ways…
- I love thee gooey texture when thee hast been melted.
- Thee creamy flavor is like no other.
- Thou art truly delicious.
OK, that’s enough of that but you get the picture. I loooooove cheese!
In fact, I have been in love with cheese my whole life.
Some examples include:
My parents will tell you my first word was “cheese.”
I would eat spoon fulls of grated cheese right out of the container every day after school.
My birthday wish list usually consisted of a Hickory Farms cheese ball.
On trips to the mall, I would insist that all of my friends take a free sample of said Hickory Farms cheese ball to give to me.
Fast forward to the present, and my love for cheese is still in full force. And it seems my eldest daughter has inherited it the same addiction. Her bowl of pasta topped with grated cheese is more like a bowl of grated cheese with some pasta. Oh, like mother like daughter. I guess I should have known what I was getting into. 🙂
I did catch her trying to eat the cheese cubes while we made these Gluten-Free Cheese-Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls. Patience, my dear, patience.
Oh, who am I kidding? There’s no patience when it comes to cheese. Let’s get started!
Learn how to make them
To make these Gluten-Free Cheese-Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls, heat vegetable oil in a medium pot (enough to cover the potato balls completely) to 350° F.
Take each cheese cube one at a time and cover it with mashed potatoes while forming it into a ball, ensuring the cheese remains in the center.
Coat each potato ball in flour, followed by egg and then gluten-free bread crumbs.
Fry potato balls in batches of four until golden brown (approximately 5 minutes per batch). Place fried potato balls on paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve topped with Caesar dressing (or ranch dressing for a vegetarian option) and chopped fresh parsley.
Now open one up and watch that gooey cheese go!
Yeah, just like that! 🙂
Gluten-Free Cheese-Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls [with Vegetarian Option]
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese (cut into cubes approximately 1/2-3/4 inch per cube)
- 3 cups cold mashed potatoes (prepared with vegetarian ingredients for vegetarian option)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free seasoned bread crumbs
- gluten-free Caesar dressing for topping (for vegetarian option, use a vegetarian or vegan Caesar dressing or ranch dressing)
- Chopped fresh parsley for topping
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium pot (enough to cover the potato balls completely) to 350° F.
- While you are heating the oil, surround each cheese cube one at a time with mashed potatoes and form into a ball approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Make sure the cheese remains in the center and cannot be seen by looking at the surface.
- Coat each potato ball in flour, followed by egg and then gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Fry potato balls in batches of four until golden brown (approximately 5 minutes per batch).
- Place fried potato balls on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve topped with Caesar or ranch dressing and chopped fresh parsley.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.