This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Enjoy this Italian Pickled Vegetable (Giardiniera) Hummus as a dip, sandwich spread or salad topper.
Just when you thought I ran out of ideas for hummus recipes, surprise! I’ve got a new one. In fact, my recipe for Green Olive and Pimento Hummus inspired me to make this Italian Pickled Vegetable (Giardiniera) Hummus.
One day, I was looking in the fridge for something to eat. I had a craving for olives, but of course, there were none left. Isn’t that always the way? Anyway, the jar of Italian pickled vegetables popped out at me. I thought, “there ARE olives in it soooooo that addresses my olive fix, but what do I want to do with it?”
I pondered and pondered and pondered.
Not in the mood for a deli sandwich topped with pickled veggies.
Again with the pondering. Then it hit me…Eureka! I’ll make hummus with pickled vegetables just like I made hummus with olives. I should make a new saying – When it doubt, make hummus.
What kind of Giardiniera is best to use in this recipe?
The kind I used is called “Fancy Giardiniera” and it’s made by Cento. The brand carries two kinds of giardiniera – “fancy” and “hot.” It is commonly used in antipasto dishes. The “fancy” is the mild version and is made up of cauliflower, carrots, celery, peppers and olives. This is my favorite blend because it has an authentic Italian flavor and you can really taste the vegetables.
Of course, you can use any brand that suits your taste.
Turn up the heat
I decided to spice up this hummus just a little bit by adding some crushed red pepper. It gave it just the right amount of heat for this dish.
What to serve with this hummus
This hummus is perfect as a snack with veggies or chips, but is also great as a veggie burger or cheese sandwich spread. You can even enjoy it as a salad topper! It tastes just like a “meatless” version of antipasto.
And if you really want to, just eat it right out of the food processor. That’s what I caught Greg doing while I was preparing the set. I guess he really likes it! 😉
How to make this Italian Pickled Vegetable Hummus Recipe
Start by adding chickpeas and garlic to the bowl of a food processor.
Then add the pickled vegetables (be sure to remove any pepper stems), pickled vegetable liquid, lemon juice and salt.
Begin by processing on low, slowly adding olive oil. Scrape the sides as needed and continue to process on high until smooth and no chunks remain. Garnish with crushed red pepper flakes and enjoy! 🙂
Italian Pickled Vegetable (Giardiniera) Hummus
- 1 (15 oz.) can no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup fancy giardiniera, packed and stems removed from peppers (I used Cento brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons jarred giardiniera liquid
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Add chickpeas, giardiniera, jarred giardiniera liquid, garlic, lemon juice and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Begin processing on low speed.
- While processing, slowly add the olive oil.
- Process on high speed until smooth and creamy and no chunks remain. You may have to stop to scrape down the sides and continue processing.
- Once the hummus has a smooth consistency, transfer to serving bowl and garnish with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.