This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
Yellow boxed cake mix gets a fall-themed makeover in this recipe for Pumpkin Chip Cake Mix Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting.
If you’re a fan of shortcut and time-saving recipes, you’ll love how easy it is to make these “dolled up” cake mix cupcakes that you would never suspect aren’t 100% homemade.
It’s all in the FROSTING.
Homemade frosting can take a boxed mix cake or cupcake to the next level. Then throw in some extra details, such as surprise candies inside and festive decorations on top, and you’re all set. Voila!
For this recipe, I decided to start with yellow boxed cake mix. Then I added some Nestle Toll House pumpkin spice morsels inside the cupcakes to give them the hint of a pumpkin pie flavor without going overboard. I topped the cupcakes with a pumpkin cream cheese frosting made with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla. Lastly, I decorated each one with fall-colored sprinkles and a Brach’s Mellowcreme pumpkin for a festive look.
These Pumpkin Chip Cake Mix Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting are perfect for your Thankgsiving dessert table, for both the kids and adults alike. 😉
Or, you can just make them because it’s fall and they’re very fall-y, pumpkin-y and just plain yummy. 🙂
To make these cupcakes gluten-free, substitute the boxed cake mix with a gluten-free version. I used the Pillsbury brand gluten-free yellow cake mix. Based on the packaging and information I found online, the Nestle Toll House pumpkin spice morsels and Brach’s Mellowcremes do not have gluten-containing ingredients; however, they are not certified gluten-free. Therefore, you should always check labels of non-certified products like these for any cross-contamination risks and to determine whether they are suitable for your dietary needs and restrictions.
how to make these Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350º F and line cupcake pans with 24 baking cups. Prepare cake mix mix according to package directions, adding Nestle Toll House pumpkin spice morsels.
Spoon cake batter into each baking cup (1/2 full) and bake cupcakes according to package directions until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack when done.
While the cupcakes are in the oven, you can start the frosting. Using a hand mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add the confectioners sugar and cinnamon and beat again until well-incorporated.
Stir in pumpkin puree and vanilla. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Ice cupcakes once they have cooled completely. Decorate with Mellowcreme pumpkins and fall-colored sprinkles.
Pumpkin Chip Cake Mix Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting [with Gluten-Free Option]
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix or 1 box of your favorite gluten-free yellow cake mix (I used the Pillsbury 17 oz box of gluten-free cake mix)
- Accompanying ingredients listed on the cake mix box (typically water, vegetable oil or butter, and eggs)
- 3/4 cup Nestle Toll House pumpkin spice morsels
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (equivalent to 1/2 cup or 1 stick)
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar 9powdered sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE DECORATIONS
- 24 Brach's Mellowcreme pumpkins
- Fall-Colored sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Line cupcake/muffin pans with 24 baking cups.
- Make cake mix according to package directions, adding pumpkin spice morsels.
- Spoon cake batter into each baking cup (1/2 full).
- Bake cupcakes according to package directions until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. When they are done, transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are in the oven, make the frosting. Using a hand mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the confectioners sugar and cinnamon and beat again until well-incorporated.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use (up to 24 hours).
- Ice cupcakes once they have cooled completely. Decorate with Mellowcreme pumpkins and sprinkles as desired.
Want more cake mix cupcake recipes? Check out these Cake Mix Cookies and Cream Cupcakes [with Gluten-Free Option]
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.