This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs will satisfy your Buffalo sauce craving, while offering a healthier alternative to traditional hot wings.
Hey, we’re making meatballs over here! Excuse me. I mean “ova heea!” We are from New Jersey, you know.
Speaking of which, for some reason, our five-year-old daughter speaks with a little more “Jersey” than the rest of the family. Well, actually, a lot more. One of her most common phrases happens to be “don’tcha undastand.”
So, when we decided to make some spicy meat-a-ball-as, we were speaking her language. And mine too…since I really like Buffalo sauce. I mean, I LOVE Buffalo sauce. OK, fine…I’m totally obsessed with Buffalo sauce. As I told you in my post for Buffalo Chicken Burgers, the kids insist I have a “hot sauce problem.”
But enough about that. These Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are the real deal for Buffalo sauce fiends like me. They are super Buffalo-y (Not a word, I know, but “dont’cha undastand?” It’s all about the sauce).
What’s so special about these meatballs? Well, for one thing, tiny bites of deliciousness are stuffed inside these babies. That’s right, people – BLUE CHEESE CRUMBLES! They are also packed with some healthy stuff, like onion, garlic, carrots and celery. And if that wasn’t enough, these meatballs are immersed in a mix of Buffalo sauce, chicken broth and butter, which just so happens to be extremely tasty served over top of them when they’re done. Oh, and they’re topped with scallions.
Mamma mia! You need to eat! Let’s make some meat-a-ball-as!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Meatballs in the slow cooker
To make these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, start by preheating your oven to 400° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Next, add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to the bowl of a food processor. Process on low or use the pulse setting until everything is finely chopped. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add veggie mixture and season with salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool 1-2 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken with veggie mixture, blue cheese crumbles, regular or gluten-free bread crumbs (we used the “gluten free, plain 4C Crumbs”), parsley and black pepper until evenly distributed.
Form mixture into meatballs and place on baking sheets.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Once the meatballs are done, add them to the slow cooker.
Pour chicken broth over meatballs.
Then, add butter to the slow cooker and pour Buffalo sauce over top.
Then, add scallions and cook on your slow cooker’s high setting for 2 hours or the low setting for 3-4 hours.
Serve alone or over rice with sauce from the slow cooker. Top with blue cheese dressing if desired.
Eat them for dinner. Serve them as an appetizer to your party guests. Hide them in the back of your fridge and eat them every day for lunch when no one is around. Oh, did I say that out loud? Well, then, I guess it’s time for you to just print the recipe now…
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs [with Gluten-Free Option]
- 1/2 yellow onion (quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into four our five pieces)
- 2 celery hearts (cut into large pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs (use 1/2 cup plain gluten-free bread crumbs for gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter (cubed)
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce)
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Blue cheese dressing (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to the bowl of a food processor. Process on low or use the pulse setting until everything is finely chopped.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add veggie mixture to the skillet. Season with salt.
- Cook on medium-low for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool 1-2 minutes.
- Place ground chicken breast in a large mixing bowl. Add veggie mixture, blue cheese crumbles, breadcrumbs (regular or gluten-free), parsley and black pepper. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Form mixture into meatballs (will make between 24 and 28 depending on the size. We made 26).
- Place meatballs on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over meatballs.
- Add butter to the slow cooker.
- Pour Buffalo sauce over meatballs.
- Top with scallions.
- Cook on high setting for 2 hours or low setting for 3-4 hours.
- Serve alone or over rice. Top with blue cheese dressing if desired.
For a vegetarian version of these meatballs, check out our Buffalo chickpea meatballs.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.