This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
This Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe features ground turkey, kidney beans, pinto beans and fresh vegetables for a hearty and healthy meal.
Did you know that October is National Chili Month?
I didn’t either until I heard it on the radio last week. Therefore, in celebration of this popular, spicy stew, I am sharing my favorite version of the dish – Turkey Chili.
Now, I know most people prefer chili made with beef, but I PROMISE you, this turkey chili recipe will not disappoint. Many a beef eater has eaten this turkey chili over the years and all have been satisfied enough to proceed home with several plastic containers full of leftovers.
Three things you will absolutely love about this gluten-free chili recipe:
1. It is healthy (Shh…it’s packed with beans and veggies).
2. It freezes and reheats well.
3. It is made in a slow cooker so you can set it to cook and walk away. No standing and stirring. You can go shopping while it cooks. Or watch a movie. Or work out. Or do nothing. Hey, whatever makes you happy. 🙂
My favorite topping for this Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is cheddar cheese (of course), but you can top with scallions, avocado, cilantro, sour cream – whatever you prefer. I also enjoy eating this chili over rice, but it is just as delicious plain.
So, get out your slow cooker and celebrate National Chili Month by cooking up some turkey chili today!
How to Make This Slow Cooker Chili
To make this turkey chili, start by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook turkey until browned, crumbling the meat as it cooks with a spoon or spatula.
While the meat is cooking, add kidney and pinto beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno your slow cooker.
Next, add crushed tomatoes. When the turkey is done, drain any excess liquid and add the meat to the slow cooker. Then, add parsley, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper to the slow cooker.
Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Cook on your slow cooker’s high setting for 5 to 6 hours or the low setting for 8-10 hours.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy! 🙂
For a vegetarian option, check out our slow cooker vegetarian chili.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe [Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey (93% lean)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 large carrots (cut into coins)
- 4-5 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes in a thick puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add ground turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook turkey until browned, crumbling the meat as it cooks with a spoon or spatula.
- While meat is cooking, add beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, jalapeno and crushed tomatoes to your slow cooker.
- When turkey is done, drain any excess liquid and add meat to the slow cooker.
- Add parsley, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Cook on high setting for 5-6 hours or low setting for 8-10 hours.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.