This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This hearty and healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Meat Sauce features carrot and basil for a hint of sweetness.
Let’s talk turkey.
More specifically, let’s talk turkey meat sauce.
SLOW COOKER Turkey Meat Sauce to be precise.
This sauce is hearty and healthy, featuring ground turkey, garlic, onion, carrot and fresh parsley and basil. The carrot and basil give it a natural hint of sweetness without having to add sugar.
The best part is that the prep is super easy thanks to the life altering invention – drum roll please – the food processor.
The onion, garlic, carrot, parsley, basil – all of it goes for a quick spin in the food processor. Then, voila! Your chopping job is complete. Using a food processor to ensure your veggies and herbs are finely chopped not only saves prep time, but it also helps your kids eat foods like carrots and onions without their knowledge.
On a side note, the last time I made pasta sauce without running the onion through a food processor, my daughters gagged like I was giving them cough syrup.
Well, hahaha! I got you back this time…not only did you just eat onion, but you ate carrot too! Muahahaha…oh sorry, got a little carried away with the diabolical laughter. So, I’ll get back to the point.
Learn how to make it
To make this sauce, start by browning ground turkey in a skillet.
While the turkey is cooking, add onion, garlic, carrot, parsley and basil to your food processor. Process on low or pulse until VERY finely chopped.
Pour cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato puree to your slow cooker. Then add in the chopped veggie/herb mix followed by some Pecorino Romano cheese and salt to taste. Lastly, add in your cooked ground turkey.
Turn your slow cooker to high and cook for four hours. Set it and, well you know the rest…
Slow Cooker Turkey Meat Sauce [Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 large cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into four or five pieces)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 5 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese
- Additional salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add turkey to skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook turkey until brown all the way through, stirring occasionally and breaking up into small pieces.
- While turkey is cooking, add onion, garlic, carrot, parsley and basil to the bowl of a food processor. Process on low or use the pulse setting until everything is finely chopped.
- Pour cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato puree into slow cooker.
- Add veggie/herb mix to sauce and stir.
- Stir in cheese.
- Season with additional salt to taste if desired.
- Add cooked ground turkey and stir.
- Cook on slow cooker's high setting for 4 hours. If your slow cooker has a tendency for sticking, you can stir occasionally if you desire.
So, what do you think? Let me know in the comments below. And if you make this recipe, tag @watchlearneat in your photos on Instagram. 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.