Two-Bean Vegetarian Nachos
As the name suggests, these Two-Bean Vegetarian Nachos feature two types of beans (refried pinto and black) and are loaded with other goodies such as tomatoes, olives, cheese and jalapenos.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 -10 people
- 13 oz. restaurant style white corn tortilla chips (I used Tostitos brand)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 16 oz. vegetarian refried pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons mild salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar jack cheese (For the vegan option, use vegan cheddar-style shreds or a combination of cheddar-style and pepper jack-style shreds)
- 2 jalapenos, sliced (seeded, if desired)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange the tortilla chips on the tray.
Heat olive oil on medium heat in a medium to large non-stick pan.
Add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Stir in refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes.
Add the refried bean mixture to the tortilla chips as the first layer, leaving the "outside" chips along the four sides clean (like you would do with pizza dough).
Add the black beans as the next layer over the refried beans.
Add the tomatoes followed by the olives.
Top everything with cheese, including the end chips.
Add jalapeno slices.
Bake for 7-10 minutes. Nachos are done when cheese is melted and bubbly. Be careful not to burn.
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Serves about 6 people if served as a meal and about 10 as an appetizer.