Cake Mix Cookies and Cream Cupcakes [with Gluten-Free Option]
These Cake Mix Cookies and Cream Cupcakes combine a box mix with homemade icing and feature a chocolate sandwich cookie baked into the bottom of each one!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 24 cupcakes
- 1 15.25 oz box white or yellow cake mix or 1 box of your favorite gluten-free brand (sizes vary)
- Accompanying ingredients (usually water, vegetable oil or butter, and eggs)
- 30 chocolate sandwich cookies (24 for cupcakes, 6 for frosting - use gluten-free sandwich cookies for gluten-free option)
- 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons or 1 cup)
- 4 cups confectioners / powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350º F.
Line cupcake/muffin pans with 24 baking cups.
Add one cookie to the bottom of each liner.
Make cake mix according to package directions and spoon cake batter into each baking cup (1/2 full).
Bake cupcakes according to package directions until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack when done.
While cupcakes are in the oven, make the frosting. Crush 6 of the cookies in a food processor.
Using a hand mixer, beat butter until creamy.
Add confectioners sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla and beat again. At this point you can add an additional tablespoon of milk if a thinner frosting is desired.
Stir in crushed cookies and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 24 hours).
Ice cupcakes once they have cooled completely.