Tomato-Basil and Chicken Sausage Risotto
This Tomato-Basil and Chicken Sausage Risotto is a delicious and hearty main course perfect for any time of the year.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 58 oz. gluten-free less-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 cups Arborio rice (not rinsed)
- 1 cup white wine (preferably Pinot Grigio)
- 1 14 oz. package sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish if desired
Warm chicken broth in a pot over medium to medium-high heat.
Heat butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wide pan until butter is melted.
Add the onion and cook over medium heat until it becomes translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add the rice and stir until it is well coated.
Add one ladleful (approximately ¼ cup) of broth and stir.
When broth is absorbed, add the wine and stir.
Once wine is absorbed, add one ladleful of broth until it is absorbed, stirring consistently.
While the rice is cooking, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add chicken sausage to skillet and cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes (until internal temperature reaches 165° F). Break up sausage into to pieces with a wooden spoon periodically. Remove from heat and set aside.
While the sausage is cooking, continue to add one ladleful of broth at a time to the rice and stir consistently until broth is absorbed until rice is just tender and has a creamy consistency (will take about 20-25 minutes minutes from this point).
Once the rice is creamy and you have used all or most of your broth (you might not need it all), stir in sausage, diced tomatoes, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil. Cook over medium heat for 2 more minutes.