Open-Faced Vegan Pot Pie [Gluten-Free]
Chickpeas replace the chicken in this Open-Faced Vegan Pot Pie, which features all the flavors of the classic American dish without any meat, eggs or dairy. It's also gluten-free and easy to make using a frozen pie crust! This hearty dish is loaded with chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, peas and corn enveloped in a creamy sauce with a touch of thyme. Perfect vegan comfort food!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Resting Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 9-inch gluten-free, vegan frozen pie crust (I used Wholly Wholesome brand)
- 3/4 cup Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cut into a few pieces so it melts faster (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 6 tbsp chickpea (aka garbanzo bean) flour
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk, unsweetened and unflavored (I used Oatly brand oat milk)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
First, preheat your oven to 400° F.
Once preheated, place the frozen pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
While the pie crust is in the oven, place chopped potatoes and carrots in a 4-quart saucepan and cover with one inch of water. Bring to a boil and once boiling, cook until just about fork-tender, but not quite (about 3-5 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Using the same saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add chopped shallot and cook until translucent (about 2 minutes).
Stir in flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended.
Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce has thickened.
Stir in chickpeas, peas, corn and potato mixture, and remove from heat.
Carefully pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie shell. Bake on the baking sheet for 35-40 minutes until crust is lightly browned and the top of the pie is lightly golden brown and set. Allow pie to cool at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Leftovers are best enjoyed reheated in the oven on 350°F until warm (approximately 10-15 minutes), but you can microwave as well if desired. When microwaving, be sure to cover and reheat in 30-second intervals as splattering may occur.