Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup tastes so much like the traditional, you won't believe it's both dairy-free and gluten-free. And for those with allergies, it's nut-free too! For this veganized, gluten-free version, we've replaced dairy milk with plant-based milk, dairy butter with vegan butter, cheddar cheese with vegan shreds, chicken broth with vegetable broth and all-purpose flour with chickpea flour. This cheesy vegan broccoli soup is rich, hearty and creamy and makes for the perfect comfort meal when paired with your favorite gluten-free, vegan bread.
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (approximately 2 small heads of broccoli)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cut into pieces (use nut-free vegan butter to keep this recipe nut-free; use soy-free vegan butter if needed - You can also use olive oil or avocado oil instead of the vegan butter)
- 6 tbsp chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk (I have used both coconut milk beverage and full fat oat milk; if you use oat milk, ensure the brand you are using is certified GF if necessary; use nut-free plant-based milk to keep this recipe nut-free)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free, low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegan cheddar-style cheese shreds (I used Violife)
Add chopped broccoli florets to a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave covered on high for 4 minutes and set aside.
Heat vegan butter in a 3-quart or 4-quart stainless steel soup pot over medium heat.
Once butter is melted (or oil is heated), add chopped onion and carrots. Cook on medium until tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 8-10 minutes).
Stir in chickpea flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until blended together.
Gradually stir in plant-based milk and vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once the soup comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and cook for 1-2 minutes to thicken, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture, being careful not to splash hot liquid. Once there are no chunks remaining, return the soup to medium-high heat. Stir in the chopped broccoli florets followed by vegan shredded cheese. Continue to cook until cheese melts and soup is thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can be reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave in a covered microwave-safe dish.
If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender by carefully pureeing the soup in batches, being careful not to splash the hot liquid. Refer to your blender's instruction manual to ensure safety.
If you do not want to steam the broccoli florets in the microwave, you can also steam them on your stovetop using a steamer basket or in your rice cooker using the appliance's steaming feature.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Accuracy is not guaranteed. Information shown should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nutrition calculation was made using oat milk.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 7g