Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
This creamy Vegan Pumpkin Mac & Cheese is gluten-free, nut-free and oil-free too! Super easy to make in just minutes, this Vitamin A-packed dairy-free mac and cheese can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish.
- 8 oz gluten-free pasta of choice
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup canned unsweetened light coconut milk (you can use vegan half & half instead, but ensure the brand you are using does not have any oil in the ingredients to keep this recipe oil-free)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp non-GMO cornstarch (substitute arrowroot starch instead, if desired)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste, if desired (kosher or sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cook your gluten-free pasta of choice according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, start the sauce.
Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, salt, mustard powder and garlic powder to a high-powered blender.
Blend on high, scraping the sides as needed, until ingredients are well-incorporated (approximately 2 minutes total). Taste test and add more salt, if desired.
Transfer pumpkin sauce to a 2- or 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking continuously until sauce is thoroughly heated (approximately 7 minutes). If you stop whisking for too long, the sauce will start to bubble and will splash hot liquid due to how thick it is.
When the pasta is done, drain and add to the sauce. Stir to combine.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Accuracy is not guaranteed due to variations in products/ingredients. Information shown should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 5g