With just 3 main ingredients, you'll love how quick and easy it is to make this gluten-free and vegan Béchamel! This creamy white sauce is super versatile and perfect for using in Italian baked dishes, casseroles and more.
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter (use soy-free and/or nut-free vegan butter if needed; sub olive oil if preferred)
- 2 ½ tbsp. chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour) (use 3 tbsp. if using olive oil)
- 1 ½ cups plain, unsweetened oat milk, brought to room temperature or warmed but not boiling (I used Oatly brand; ensure the brand you are using is certified GF if needed)
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt or kosher salt, plus more to taste if desired
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste if desired
Melt the butter (or heat the oil) in a 2-qt. or 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat.
Once the butter is melted (or oil is heated), whisk in the chickpea flour to make a roux. Whisk until it resembles a thick paste and is golden in color. Be careful not to burn. Any clumps will melt during cooking and whisking.
Whisk in the oat milk, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Once boiling, whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then remove from heat. Sauce will continue to thicken as it sits off of the heat. Stir in more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Store unused sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Sauce is best reheated on the stovetop.
I prefer oat milk for this recipe, but I have also tested it with plain, unsweetened soy milk which also works. I am not sure about the results with other plant-based milks.
If you are planning on making a white lasagna with béchamel as the only sauce, for an 8-12 oz. box of oven-ready lasagna noodles, you will need to triple this recipe and be sure to use a 3- or 4-qt. saucepan.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Accuracy is not guaranteed. Information shown should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 1g