This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full disclosure here.
Feeling chilly? Cozy up with a bowl of this Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup made with mouthwatering roasted butternut squash! This warming vegan soup is also gluten-free and features an oil-free option too. Top with roasted chickpeas for the perfect flavor combination.
Hey, pumpkin! Sorry to “squash” your role of king of fall, but you’re being upstaged by the new “gourd” in town…goes by the name, Butternut Squash.
I’m not gonna lie. I think I like butternut squash more than pumpkin.
Yup, I said it! What’cha gonna do about it, huh?
I’ll tell you what you’re gonna do. You’re gonna love you some butternut squash too when you try yourself some ‘o this tasty soup, that’s what!
I don’t know about you, but for me there’s something heavenly about the aroma of butternut squash as it’s roasting emanating from the oven. It just makes me feel all warm and cozy inside and ready for chilly weather.
OK, enough sappy stuff. Time to get down to the nitty gritty!
What ingredients are in roasted butternut squash soup?
- Cubed Butternut Squash (I use the pre-cut kind for convenience, which is sold in most supermarkets)
- Olive Oil (replace with vegetable broth for the oil-free option)
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Sweet Onion
- Vegan Pinot Grigio (for some suggestions, check out Barnivore.com)
- Vegetable Broth
- Plant-Based Half & Half (I used Natural Bliss by Coffee Mate; for the oil-free option, use an oil-free brand such as Califia Farms or use canned light coconut milk instead)
How to make vegan butternut squash soup
Preheat your oven to 400°. Add cubed butternut squash to a mixing bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil (or vegetable broth for the oil-free option) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir to combine.
Transfer the butternut squash to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully stir the butternut squash pieces and return to the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes.
When the squash is nearly done, add chopped onion and wine to a 3- or 4-quart soup pot.
Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sage, thyme and butternut squash.
Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, uncover and let stand 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until no chunks remain, being careful not to splash hot liquid.
Stir in plant-based half & half.
Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish as desired.
Now that you’re ready to make this tasty soup, sing it with me…♪ “Everybody’s talking ’bout the new gourd in town…” ♫
What to serve with creamy butternut squash soup
This soup is killer topped with some roasted chickpeas and garnished with additional freshly ground black pepper. You can serve it alongside a simple salad or enjoy with your favorite gluten-free, vegan bread. It also makes a great starter for the holidays!
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 20 oz. cubed butternut squash (I use the pre-cut kind which can be found at most supermarkets)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (for the oil-free option, use 1/4 cup vegetable broth)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup vegan Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 tsp. ground or rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 32 oz. gluten-free, low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup plant-based half & half, unflavored, unsweetened (for the oil-free option, use an oil-free plant-based half & half or use canned light coconut milk instead)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add cubed butternut squash to a mixing bowl along with olive oil (or vegetable broth for the oil-free option) plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the butternut squash to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully stir the butternut squash pieces and return to the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- When the squash is nearly done, add chopped onion and wine to a 3- or 4-quart soup pot. Cook the onion over medium heat until translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sage, thyme and butternut squash. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, uncover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree mixture until no chunks remain, being careful not to splash hot liquid.
- Stir in plant-based half & half. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
This post originally appeared on Watch Learn Eat on November 9, 2015. It has been republished to reflect both recipe and photo revisions. Changes to the story were also made.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.