This cashew mayo is a creamy, oil-free alternative to store-bought vegan mayo. Perfect for using as a sandwich spread or in your favorite potato or pasta salad. Plus it's low in fat and easy to make with just a handful of ingredients!Jump to Recipe
If you're looking for a creamy vegan mayo that's lower in fat and calories than the store-bought varieties, you've got to try this cashew mayo.
Just like my tofu mayo, this cashew version contains no oil, and is perfect for those avoiding added oils or cutting back on them.
It works great as a sandwich spread but is also absolutely amazing in pasta and potato salads. I tried it in my vegan dill potato salad and it was da bomb for reals. 😉
Ingredients you'll need
- Raw Cashews
- Filtered Water
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Fine Sea Salt
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make cashew mayo - step by step
Soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes or in cold water at room temperature for 6-8 hours.
Add the water and the remaining ingredients to a high-powered blender.
Drain and rinse the cashews and add them to the blender.
Blend on high for about a total of 5-7 minutes until very smooth and creamy.
- You will need to stop and scrape the sides of the blender with a silicone spatula a few times during the process.
- If needed, add more water and blend again.
- Taste test and add more lemon juice and/or salt if desired and blend again.
If you are using the boiling water method to soak your cashews, I love using an electric kettle for boiling the water because it boils super fast.
To blend the mayo, you'll need a high-powered blender such as a Ninja.
Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator (a mason jar works best) for up to a week.
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes or in cold water at room temperature (covered) for 6-8 hours.
- Add ½ cup filtered water and the remaining ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Drain and rinse cashews and add to the blender.
- Blend on high for about a total of 5-7 minutes until very smooth and creamy. You will need to stop and scrape the sides of the blender with a silicone spatula a few times during the process. Add up to ¼ cup more water if needed and blend again. Taste test and add more lemon juice and/or salt if desired and blend again. Use right away or refrigerate until ready to use.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.