This vegan banana bread is ultra soft and fluffy! It has a natural sweetness and loads of chocolate chips. This quick bread comes together in one mixing bowl in under an hour. Serve it as a comforting breakfast, easy afternoon snack, or even healthier dessert. You will also love these Vegan Donuts!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This vegan banana bread takes less than one hour.
- Only one mixing bowl is required.
- This recipe is made with only pantry staple ingredients.
- The bananas add natural sweetness and moisture.
- Great for breakfast, brunch, snacks, or sweet treats.
- Both kids and adults love this banana bread.
- To make gluten-free vegan banana bread, use gluten-free flour.
- This recipe is made without eggs, without butter, or without animal products.
- In addition, this banana bread is made without chia eggs or flax eggs.
- It is vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, and can be made nut-free and gluten-free.
- Check out this Buckwheat Banana Bread or this Vegan Bread for another easy bread recipe!
Ingredients You'll Need
Get all the details on these simple ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Use overripe bananas. They should have brown spots. Overripe bananas contain more natural sweetness than yellow or green bananas. In addition, they add more moisture.
Use any dairy-free milk. For nut-free, use coconut milk or oat milk. Almond milk and macadamia nut milk work well too.
Melted coconut oil adds moisture and a healthy fat. Feel free to substitute melted vegan butter or olive oil.
A little vanilla extract adds a cozy warmth. For a slight almond flavor, use almond extract.
To sweeten it up, use light brown sugar or coconut sugar. Do not substitute with maple syrup or another liquid sweetener.
All-purpose flour thickens up the batter. For gluten-free, use gluten-free flour. Do not substitute with almond flour or coconut flour.
Baking soda leavens this quick vegan banana bread.
Add in a pinch of sea salt for added flavor. The salt balances out the natural sweetness of the bananas and chocolate.
Lastly, add in vegan chocolate chips. Use mini, dark, or even white chocolate chips if desired.
Moreover, add some walnuts, pecans, or dried cranberries for more flavor.
How to Make
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Then, add in the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to the lined pan. Smooth into one even layer.
Garnish with extra chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Finally, remove vegan banana bread from the oven. Allow the loaf to fully cool before slicing into.
For best results, make this recipe exactly as written.
Choose ripe bananas. Look for brown-spotted bananas. Check out How Long Do Bananas Last for more helpful tips.
Do not use yellow bananas or green bananas.
To make gluten-free vegan banana bread, use gluten-free flour.
The batter is slightly thick. Avoid overmixing the batter. Overmixed banana bread batter will become dry.
Do not overbake this bread. Once a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean, the bread is done.
Fully cool bread before slicing into.
Use a very sharp, long knife for slicing.
Flavor Variations & Mix-Ins
There are several ways to switch up the flavors of this vegan banana bread!
Use chopped chocolate bars. This creates large melted pools of chocolate.
Try vegan white chocolate chips. This adds a pop of flavor.
To add some crunch, add some walnuts or pecans. Vegan banana nut bread is delicious!
Add in some dried cranberries or another dried fruit. This adds even more natural sweetness and flavor.
For some fun, add in sprinkles!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! It is possible to bake banana bread without eggs. This recipe is egg-free.
Yes, there are many brands that make vegan chocolate chips.
Sure! Use gluten-free 1 to 1 flour. Both King Arthur Flour and Bob's Red Mill make great options.
To test if banana bread is done baking, insert a toothpick into the center of it. If the toothpick comes out mostly clean, the bread is done. In addition, the edges of the bread should be golden brown. The middle of the bread should have puffed up into a dome shape.
Yes, you can freeze banana bread. Either wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap or tin foil before freezing, or freeze individual slices.
Serve this vegan banana bread once fully cooled. Once cooled and sliced, feel free to warm up a slice at a time.
Serve with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, vegan milk, or by itself.
This bread is great for any time of the day!
Top with peanut butter, almond butter, maple syrup, or melted chocolate.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freeze vegan banana bread for up to 1 month. Freeze either the entire loaf or individual slices. Thaw completely before eating.
Equipment You'll Need
Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets: Line the bread pan with parchment paper. This prevents sticking.
Pyrex 3 Glass Mixing Bowls: These measuring bowls are great for mixing batter.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cups: Use these glass measuring cups for measuring out all of the ingredients.
Whisk: Whisk the batter together. It will be thick! Use a large spoon if needed.
Bread Pan: This is my all-time favorite bread pan for baking bread.
You Will Also Love
- Vegan Banana Oat Pancakes
- Fluffy Almond Milk Pancakes
- Vegan Lemon Cake
- Strawberry Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Vegan Banana Brownies
Check out this list of the Best Vegan Banana Recipes for more inspiration!
Vegan Banana Bread
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Add parchment paper to a bread loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir together.
- Then, add in the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir together.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment lined pan. Smooth into an even layer.
- Dot with extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Finally, remove vegan banana bread from the oven. Allow it to fully cool before slicing into.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
- Use overripe bananas. They contain more natural sweetness.
- For refined sugar-free, use coconut sugar.
- For gluten-free, use gluten-free 1 to 1 flour. Do not use almond flour or coconut flour.
- The bread batter will be slightly thick.
- Do not bake too long. The edges will be golden and the top will be a dome shape.
- Insert a toothpick into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Allow bread to fully cool before slicing and serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze bread for up to 1 month.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and photos are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.