- Why you'll love this strawberry banana peanut butter smoothie recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make this strawberry-banana smoothie
- How to make this strawberry-banana smoothie with peanut butter
- Can I make this strawberry peanut butter banana smoothie with less fat/calories?
- Can I use fresh fruit?
- Variations and Substitutions
- More plant-based smoothies
- Strawberry-Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
You've heard of Strawberry-Banana as a common flavor combination, but you may be wondering..."What's with the peanut butter?"
Well, I have a confession to make.
This smoothie was inspired by one of my favorite food combinations growing up...strawberry ice cream and peanut butter topping.
A strange combination you say?
Well, I'm going to prove that strawberry ice cream and peanut butter topping is not a strange food combination.
Peanut butter and jelly...strawberry jelly in fact.
I'll tell you how I made this amazing pink concoction (almost affectionately named The Nutty Fribble in honor of my childhood favorite ice cream establishment) with only 4 ingredients, which are loaded with vitamins and minerals that will make your body happy. 🙂
Why you'll love this strawberry banana peanut butter smoothie recipe
- Super fast, you only need 5 minutes and 4 simple ingredients to make 2 smoothies - making it perfect for busy mornings
- You can control the thickness and make a thicker smoothie if desired
- Simple to customize
- You just need your high speed blender and the ingredients
- Full of various health benefits to keep you full while following a healthy eating lifestyle
Ingredients you'll need to make this strawberry-banana smoothie
- Frozen Strawberries - provide most of the flavor and are loaded with nutrients
- Frozen Banana - provides natural sweetness yet a neutral flavor that doesn't overpower the strawberries
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk (beverage, not canned) - helps the fruit blend into creamy goodness
- Unsweetened, Creamy Peanut Butter - adds protein, healthy fats and that PB deliciousness
How to make this strawberry-banana smoothie with peanut butter
Add frozen strawberries, frozen banana, coconut milk and a generous amount of glorious peanut butter to a high-powered blender.
Blend until smooth and the ingredients are well-incorporated.
Enjoy your fruity smoothie!
Can I make this strawberry peanut butter banana smoothie with less fat/calories?
Yes! Substitute an equal amount of unsweetened peanut butter powder for the peanut butter.
Peanut butter powder has about 1.5 grams of fat and 50 calories per two tablespoons while peanut butter typically has about 16 grams of fat and between 180 and 200 calories for the same size serving.
In addition, using a lower fat plant-based milk, such as unsweetened almond milk, will also lower the overall fat and saturated fat in the smoothie.
Please note though that it won't be as creamy.
Can I use fresh fruit?
Wondering if you can swap out the frozen bananas and strawberries? Sure can!
Make your smoothie with fresh strawberries and fresh banana if you have the fruit on hand. If you do so, you may want to add in a couple of ice cubes.
Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few other ideas you can add in to your healthy strawberry banana smoothie, or try instead of the original simple 4 ingredients.
Swap the coconut milk - try your dairy-free milk of choice instead. Almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk would all work.
Add some extra natural sweetener - I think the fruits provide the perfect amount of sweetness, but if you want more natural sweetness to your smoothie, add a dash of maple syrup, honey (if not vegan), or agave.
Swap out the natural peanut butter - You can try different nut butter if desired in your delicious smoothie.
Add your favorite protein powder - Turn this into a strawberry banana protein smoothie by adding in a serving of your favorite protein powder.
Add texture - Add in some chia seeds or flax seeds for some extra health benefits and some nice texture.
Add veggies - Turn this into a super healthy drink by adding in some fresh spinach, cauliflower rice, etc. - you won't even know it's in there and it'll make it even more of a creamy smoothie.
For best results, this delicious strawberry banana smoothie recipe should be consumed when you make it. I don't recommend trying to store it for long.
More plant-based smoothies
- Blueberry Pie Smoothie
- Banana Almond Butter Cacao Smoothie
- Apple Banana Smoothie with Peanut Powder
- Apple Blueberry Lemon Smoothie
Strawberry-Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 medium frozen banana, peeled and sliced prior to freezing
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain coconut milk beverage, not canned (I used So Delicious)
- 2 heaping tbsp natural, unsweetened creamy peanut butter (sub unsweetened peanut butter powder for less fat and calories)
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and well-incorporated.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.