This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
These fluffy, chocolaty Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings! Enjoy these dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, nut-free, gluten-free muffins for breakfast, snack time or dessert.
What’s better than chocolate chip muffins?
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins, of course!
You know the saying, double the chocolate, double the yum! 😉
Anyway, when it comes to chocolaty-ness (totally just made that word up), these muffins do not disappoint.
The most awesome thing about these muffins is that even though they slightly resemble cupcakes, it’s totally acceptable to eat them for breakfast.
You know, because they are technically muffins, and it is a well-known fact that muffins are traditionally served at breakfast…chocolate and all. 😉
I mean, if you want one for dessert instead, I’m down for that too. 😉
These fluffy, chocolaty vegan chocolate chip muffins are also gluten-free (made with oat flour) and refined sugar-free (sweetened with coconut sugar and pure maple syrup).
I also made them nut-free by using soy milk, but you can use any dairy-free, plant-based milk of your choosing. 🙂
So, don’t delay…it’s time to get your chocolate groove on…
Ingredients you’ll need
- Flax Eggs
- Vegan Butter
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
- Coconut Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Gluten-Free, Whole-Grain Oat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt
- Cocoa Powder
- Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips
How to make vegan chocolate muffins
Since this recipe is vegan, of course, there are no eggs, so the first step even before you preheat your oven is to prepare your flax eggs.
To do this, combine 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons water. Whisk with a fork, cover and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
Now, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350° F, and then line a muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
Whisk together flax eggs, vegan butter, soy milk, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix gluten-free oat flour, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Stir to combine.
Next, add the cocoa powder.
Stir to combine.
Then, fold in chocolate chips.
Fill baking cups with batter until used up (approximately 3/4 full per cup).
Use the additional 2 tbsp. chocolate chips to top each muffin.
Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Vegan Butter: You can use avocado oil or melted and cooled coconut oil in place of the vegan butter.
- Flax Eggs: You can use 6 tablespoons of aquafaba in place of the flax eggs.
- Soy Milk: You can use any unsweetened plant-based milk of your choosing. I’ve found that Oatly brand oat milk also works well. Be sure to use a milk that is not nut-based if you are looking to keep these muffins nut-free.
Storing the muffins
Muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you like these vegan double chocolate chip muffins, check out our vegan blueberry muffins next.
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed combined with 6 tablespoons of water; sub with 6 tablespoons aquafaba if preferred)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted and cooled so not too hot (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks; sub with avocado oil or melted and cooled coconut oil if preferred)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other unsweetened plant-based milk)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free, whole-grain oat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, natural cocoa powder (not processed with alkali)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan, refined sugar-free chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life or Davis Chocolate)
- Whisk together ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl, cover and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
- Whisk together flax eggs, vegan butter, plant-based milk, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix gluten-free oat flour, salt and baking soda.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients using a spoon to combine.
- Stir in cocoa powder.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Fill baking cups with batter until used up (approximately 3/4 full per cup).
- Use the additional 2 tbsp. chocolate chips to top each muffin.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.