This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These Cake Mix Cookies and Cream Cupcakes combine a box mix with homemade icing and feature a chocolate sandwich cookie baked into the bottom of each one! A creamy cookie swirled icing, moist cake and crunchy cookie surprise come together to create this sweet treat!
I don’t know about you, but I love a good recipe shortcut, especially when it comes to baking.
In fact, just the other day, my co-worker and I were discussing baking cupcakes and I asked if she made them from scratch. Her response? “I’m no Betty Hines,” she said.
That amused me for the rest of the day. In fact, I think I’m still laughing about it. Oh, the things food bloggers think are funny.
Anyway, Betty, Duncan, Pillsbury…they’re all welcome here, because this recipe starts with a box of cake mix (traditional or gluten-free). You can use either white or yellow…whatever floats your boat. 🙂
Other ingredients needed to make these cookies and cream cupcakes
- Your favorite brand of chocolate sandwich cookies (traditional or gluten-free)
- Typical box mix ingredients such as vegetable oil or butter, eggs and water
- Butter (for the icing)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make these cake mix cupcakes
Start by preheating your oven to 350° F. Then line two cupcake/muffin pans with baking cups. Add one cookie to the bottom of each liner.
Make cake mix according to package directions and spoon cake batter into each baking cup (1/2 full).
Bake cupcakes according to package directions until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Now for the hard part. You have to wait until they cool to ice them. Oh, the torture!
So, while you’re waiting, you can mix up your frosting. Start by crushing cookies in a food processor. Then beat butter until creamy. Add confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla and beat again. Stir in crushed cookies and refrigerate until ready to use.
Once the cupcakes are cooled, you can ice them, and more importantly, EAT THEM!
Cake Mix Cookies and Cream Cupcakes [with Gluten-Free Option]
- 1 15.25 oz box white or yellow cake mix or 1 box of your favorite gluten-free brand (sizes vary)
- Accompanying ingredients (usually water, vegetable oil or butter, and eggs)
- 30 chocolate sandwich cookies (24 for cupcakes, 6 for frosting - use gluten-free sandwich cookies for gluten-free option)
- 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons or 1 cup)
- 4 cups confectioners / powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Line cupcake/muffin pans with 24 baking cups.
- Add one cookie to the bottom of each liner.
- Make cake mix according to package directions and spoon cake batter into each baking cup (1/2 full).
- Bake cupcakes according to package directions until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack when done.
- While cupcakes are in the oven, make the frosting. Crush 6 of the cookies in a food processor.
- Using a hand mixer, beat butter until creamy.
- Add confectioners sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla and beat again. At this point you can add an additional tablespoon of milk if a thinner frosting is desired.
- Stir in crushed cookies and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 24 hours).
- Ice cupcakes once they have cooled completely.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.