This creamy vanilla vegan buttercream frosting is perfect for icing everything from cakes to cupcakes or using as a filling for cookie sandwiches and more! And it's easy to make with in just 5 minutes with only 3 ingredients!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This vegan vanilla buttercream frosting is literally perfect for icing all. the. things. You know...of course the usual vegan cupcakes and cakes but also brownies for example or stuffing in between two cookies for a cookie sandwich. Then maybe roll that baby around in some sprinkles. Oh yes, PLEASE!
- With only 3 ingredients, this frosting is super easy to whip up in just 5 minutes!
- It’s rich, creamy and has just the right amount of sweetness.
- This frosting is not just dairy-free, but it can easily be made soy-free and nut-free too to accommodate various dietary restrictions or allergies.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Vegan Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Organic Powdered Sugar
How to make vegan buttercream frosting
Add butter and vanilla to a mixing bowl.
Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and vanilla extract until just smooth, but do not overbeat.
Gradually sift in 3 cups of the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, using the electric hand mixer to whip between each addition.
Scrape down the sides as needed and continue to mix until smooth and creamy.
Add up to 1 cup more powdered sugar if needed to achieve desired consistency, mixing after adding.
Now, your frosting is ready to use!
Use a knife to spread on cakes, cupcakes, brownies and more...or use a piping bag and decorating tip instead.
This frosting is perfect for icing cupcakes and cakes of any flavor, whether made from scratch or a boxed mix.
We especially love it with our gluten-free vegan cupcakes! 🙂
- Be sure to use vegan butter in stick form, not the spreadable kind in the tub. My favorite is Country Crock but you can use your favorite brand.
- To make this recipe nut-free, be sure to use a nut-free vegan butter as some brands contain nuts.
- To make this recipe soy-free, ensure you are using a soy-free vegan butter blend.
- If the frosting is too thick for your liking, you can whip in up to 1 tablespoon of plant-based milk. Just keep in mind that you want it to be on the thicker side if you are going to be using it in a piping bag.
- The frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Stir before using. If it is too thick, you can leave it out at room temperature for a few minutes.
More vegan sweets
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup vegan butter (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups organic powdered sugar
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until just smooth, but do not overbeat.
- Gradually sift in 3 cups of the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, using the electric hand mixer to whip between each addition, scraping down the sides as needed and continuing to mix until smooth and creamy. Add up to 1 cup more powdered sugar if needed to achieve desired consistency, mixing after adding.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.