This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
It’s easy to prepare this Cheesy Broccoli Vegan Quiche using a frozen gluten-free and vegan pie crust. Enjoy a slice of this tofu-based quiche its own or with some fresh fruit or a side salad. This dairy-free, egg-free quiche is perfect for breakfast, brunch or lunch!
Quiche has always been a favorite of mine since I can remember.
I hate to admit it, but I’d buy those frozen mini quiches typically served at parties in bulk at Costco and eat like 10 of them for breakfast.
Fast forward to 2019 and those mini quiches are a distant memory.
Not only are they not gluten-free, but they of course, also contain eggs and dairy.
And since I have been transitioning to a vegan diet as of the beginning of this year, not to mention the fact that Greg has issues now with both eggs and dairy, quiche just isn’t in the cards for us….
Or is it?
This little block of soy has allowed me to create a delicious egg-free version of my favorite breakfast.
The first time I had a tofu quiche was at a local vegan and gluten-free bakery before I even started eating this way.
I had shopped there before for the ridiculously amazing gluten-free cupcakes, but on that particular day, the quiche caught my eye.
It was PHENOMENAL!
So of course, I just had to make one myself.
What ingredients are in the quiche filling?
For the tofu base, I opted for silken tofu due to its soft consistency and “egg-like” texture.
For the cheesy flavor, I used a combination of nutritional yeast and vegan cheddar-style shreds.
Other ingredients include:
- Olive Oil (for cooking the broccoli and onion)
- Soy Milk (or other plant-based milk of choice)
- Mustard Powder
- Salt & Pepper
What’s the best gluten-free pie crust to use?
I’ll be honest. It is VERY difficult to find a store-bought gluten-free AND vegan pie crust.
My go-to is the Wholly Wholesome gluten-free pie crust, which is not only certified as gluten-free but is also certified vegan.
Of course, you can use your favorite brand of pie crust, or you can even make your own if you so desire.
How to make this vegan quiche recipe – step by step
Start by preheating your oven to 400° F.
Remove the pie crust from the freezer and allow to thaw while the oven is preheating.
When the oven is preheated, place the pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
When done, remove pie crust from the oven and lower the heat to 375° F.
While the pie crust is in the oven, heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet.
Add broccoli and onion plus salt to taste.
Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the broccoli is soft and the onion pieces are translucent.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Next, add the tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper to your food processor.
Process on low, scraping down the sides as needed.
Process on low until smooth.
Add the tofu mixture, broccoli and onion mixture and cheddar-style shreds to a mixing bowl.
Use a spoon or silicone spatula to mix the ingredients until well-combined.
Pour the combined mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
Bake on 375° F for 40-55 minutes until the quiche is set.
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on before slicing and serving.
Can the broccoli be substituted with other veggies?
Yes! I’ve actually tried it with frozen butternut squash chunks as well as frozen cut leaf spinach.
You can use a 12-oz. bag of either of these, and keep all of the other ingredients and measurements the same.
Just be sure to defrost the veggies first before cooking them with the onion.
Also, if you’re using frozen spinach, make sure you squeeze out the excess water after defrosting or the quiche will become watery.
You might also enjoy:
Cheesy Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- 1 9-inch gluten-free, vegan frozen pie crust (I used Wholly Wholesome brand)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen and brought to room temperature, chopped into smaller pieces if desired (*If using frozen, see notes below)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (yellow or sweet)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 16 oz silken tofu, excess water drained
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk (**See notes below regarding using a different type of milk)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegan cheddar-style shreds
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove the pie crust from the freezer and allow to thaw while the oven is preheating. Once oven is preheated, place pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. When done, remove pie shell from the oven and lower the heat to 375° F.
- While the pie crust is pre-baking in the oven, heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Add broccoli and onion plus kosher salt to taste. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the broccoli is soft and the onion pieces are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper and additional kosher salt to taste to your food processor. Process on low until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the tofu mixture, broccoli and onion mixture and cheddar-style shreds to a mixing bowl. Use a spoon or silicone spatula to mix the ingredients until well-combined.
- Pour the combined mixture into the pre-baked pie crust and bake on 375° F for ***40-55 minutes until the quiche is set. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet before slicing and serving.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.