Why you'll love this chickpea salad recipe
- Healthy salad recipe
- Simple salad that takes just minutes to make and perfect for when you need a quick lunch
- No need for olive oil or any other oil as the avocado is what makes it smooth and creamy and provides healthy fats
- Don't need for a food processor or any fancy equipment to make it
Watch the chickpea and avocado salad video
Ingredients you'll need
- Canned Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Ripe Avocado
- Fresh Chives
- Lemon Juice (lime juice works too!)
Find measurements in the recipe card below.
How to make avocado chickpea salad
Drain the can of chickpeas into a mesh strainer and rinse them.
If you’d like, you can remove the skins from the chickpeas.
This will give them a more creamy texture, but it’s not necessary.
Add the chickpeas to a mixing bowl.
Mash with a potato masher or fork, leaving some chunks/whole chickpeas intact.
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
Remove the peel and add the two avocado halves to the mashed chickpeas.
Combine chickpeas and avocado together by mashing with the potato masher or fork.
Add the chives, salt, and pepper and stir.
Stir in lemon juice.
- Feta Cheese or Vegan Feta cheese
- Shelled Sunflower Seeds or Pumpkin Seeds (adds a little crunch but also some additional protein)
- Lemon Zest (for some more zing)
- Red Pepper Flakes (for some heat)
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh Parsley (or other fresh herbs of choice)
Ideas for serving smashed chickpea salad with avocado
It's best to enjoy this easy chickpea salad on the same day you are making eat.
You can either meal prep it in the morning or whip up this meal right before serving with little stress.
I like to make it and then give it about 10-15 minutes in the fridge to incorporate all of the flavors before serving but you can eat it right away too.
You can serve it as is on your bread of choice (gluten-free if needed) to make a chickpea avocado salad sandwich.
It's great with your favorite sandwich toppings such as red onion, tomato, leafy greens, etc.
It's also great on a wrap or or atop a bed of mixed greens
Frequently asked questions
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are known to have the following health benefits:
-High in protein
-Packed with fiber (helping you feel fuller for longer)
-Low glycemic index (which can help with blood sugar regulation)
-High in magnesium and potassium
A great way to tell if avocados are ripe is that they are a little bit soft. Firm avocados need a few more days to taste their best. Remember: your goal is a tasty, creamy avocado that can blend well with the rest of these simple ingredients.
More vegan lunch recipes
Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Add the chickpeas to a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork, leaving some chunks/whole chickpeas intact.
- Add the avocado to the mashed chickpeas.
- Blend avocado and chickpeas together by mashing with the potato masher or fork.
- Add the chives, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Stir in lemon juice.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and photos are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.