This Gluten-Free & Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy features the flavors of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme for a delicious accompaniment to your favorite meal. And, it can easily made vegan with just one swap! Not only is this gravy packed with flavor, it is also super easy to make.Jump to Recipe
Since my husband began his gluten-free diet, it has been difficult finding a gluten-free gravy recipe everyone enjoys.
We tried some packaged gravies, but they just didn't hit the spot.
Therefore, I decided to take on the task of creating my own gluten-free gravy that the whole family would love.
- All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend - Personally, I find Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free, All-Purpose Baking Flour to work best.
- Butter - To make this gravy vegan, use vegan butter instead.
- Vegetable Broth
- Gravy Master - This helps to achieve the caramel color of the gravy and adds flavor. And, it happens to be one of my childhood staples. If my memory serves me right, I watched my father use this browning/seasoning sauce countless times during during my childhood. It's also gluten-free and vegan!
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Herbs - I opted for a mix of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme.
How to Make This Vegetarian Gravy
To start, melt the butter (or vegan butter) in a saucepan over medium heat.
Next, make a roux by whisking the melted butter with gluten-free flour.
Then, whisk in vegetable broth.
Next, whisk in the herbs, Gravy Master, salt and black pepper.
Cook over medium-high heat until gravy reaches a boil.
Then, reduce to a simmer, stirring until gravy is at its desired thickness.
Transfer to serving dish and enjoy (by the ladleful) with your favorite meal! 😉
Ideas for serving
This gravy is perfect for your favorite vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Do I have to use Gravy Master?
If you can't find Gravy Master in your local grocery store, you can buy it online or use a similar browning sauce of your choice such as Kitchen Bouquet.
Just be sure to check ingredient labels to ensure the brand you choose is gluten-free as well as vegan, if desired.
Want more gravy? Try this vegan and gluten-free gravy made with chickpea flour next.
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy [with Vegan Option]
- 3 tablespoons butter (use vegan butter for the vegan option)
- ¼ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill "Gluten Free, All Purpose Baking Flour")
- 3 cups (24 oz.) gluten-free vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon Gravy Master (or other browning sauce)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Once the roux starts to bubble, turn heat to low. Whisk constantly until roux resembles a smooth paste (similar to peanut butter or cake frosting) and has a toasty aroma.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth, Gravy Master (or other browning sauce) and fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook gravy over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and stir until desired thickness is achieved.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.