This Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy features the flavors of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme for a delicious accompaniment to your favorite meal.
Since Greg began his gluten-free diet, it has been difficult finding a gluten-free gravy recipe everyone enjoys. We tried some packaged gravies, but they just didn’t hit the spot.
Therefore, I decided to take on the task of creating my own gluten-free gravy that the whole family would love. I also took on the challenge of making it vegetarian to accompany our Meatless Monday menu items, such as mushroom veggie burgers and mashed potatoes.
Since my eldest daughter loves herbs, I opted for making a savory herb gravy using fresh rosemary, sage and thyme.
To make it gluten free, I used Bob’s Red Mill “Gluten Free, All Purpose Baking Flour.” I know it’s supposed to be for baking, but let me tell you, it worked like a charm and thickened this gravy to perfection!
I also added one of my childhood staples – Gravy Master. If my memory serves me right, I watched my father use this browning/seasoning sauce countless times during the 1970s and 1980s. It helps add flavor and darken the color of gravy.
And it just so happens to be gluten-free and meat-free! A perfect addition to my Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy! If you can’t find Gravy Master in your local grocery store, you can buy it online or use a similar browning sauce of your choice.
Not only is this gravy packed with flavor, it is also super easy to make.
Learn how to make it
To start, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Next, make a roux by whisking the melted butter with gluten-free flour.
Then whisk in vegetable broth, fresh herbs, Gravy Master, salt and black pepper.
Cook over medium to medium-high until gravy reaches a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, stirring until gravy is at its desired thickness.
Transfer to serving dish and enjoy (by the ladleful) with your favorite meal! 😉
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill "Gluten Free, All Purpose Baking Flour")
- 3 cups 24 oz. vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Gravy Master (or other browning sauce)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Once the roux starts to bubble, turn heat to low. Whisk constantly until roux resembles a smooth paste (similar to peanut butter or cake frosting) and has a toasty aroma.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth, Gravy Master (or other browning sauce) and fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook gravy over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and stir until desired thickness is achieved.
So, what do you think? Let me know in the comments below. And if you make this recipe, tag @watchlearneat in your photos on Instagram. 🙂
For a delicious gluten-free and VEGAN gravy, try my Chickpea Flour Gravy next:
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.