This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also participate in additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
These vegan cream cheese mashed potatoes are super easy to make with only 3 ingredients plus salt and pepper. They're so creamy, it's hard to believe they're dairy-free! They can also be made oil-free by using a vegan cream cheese with no added oils.
♫ Mashed potatoes, mashed mashed potatoes...
For the first time, I can honestly say I did not make up this song. See, I mean, hear the evidence below...
For some reason, my girls are obsessed with singing about mashed potatoes.
I, on the other hand, am obsessed with EATING them! 😉
And, since I can remember, it has always been this way.
As a kid, I would go to my grandparents' house every Sunday for dinner.
I'm not going to lie to you. I could have cared less about whatever meat my grandmother had on the table.
My eyes were on the mashed potatoes.
I think I would have been satisfied with a heaping plate of mashed potatoes as my entree, side and dessert.
But across the table, sat someone else who also coveted the magical spuds...my grandfather.
Once everyone had their first helping, he and I would go at it for the rest.
Looking back, I think my grandmother should have just made an extra pot for the two of us. 😉
After I got married, my favorite mashed potatoes were the cream cheese ones my sister-in-law would make for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Luckily for me, today there are so many delicious vegan cream cheese options I could use to recreate this delicious side dish.
For this recipe, I decided to use Kite Hill's plain almond milk cream cheese.
Its smooth and velvety texture blends perfectly into the warm potatoes.
Aside from potatoes and cream cheese, you only need unsweetened almond milk, salt and pepper and BAM...you're done!
Delicious, creamy mashed potatoes on the table!
Can I use a different vegan cream cheese?
Yes! You can go ahead and use your favorite brand of cream cheese in this recipe.
I've also tried them using Violife and the potatoes were still amazingly creamy!
However, keep in mind that if you want them to be oil-free, ensure your cream cheese is not made with any oil.
For example, Violife is made with oil while Kite Hill is not. Miyoko's is another brand that offers an oil-free vegan cream cheese.
How to make vegan cream cheese mashed potatoes - step by step
Start by peeling your potatoes. After you've peeled them, cut them into chunks that are all about the same size.
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with one inch of water.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender.
Drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the pot.
Add vegan cream cheese and almond milk.
Use an electric hand mixer to whip the potatoes, ensuring that the ingredients are well-incorporated and no lumps remain.
However, be careful not to overmix or the potatoes will have a gluey consistency.
Stir in salt and pepper.
Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Now, take a big ole scoop! 😉
Ideas for serving
They're perfect alongside your favorite main dishes. We love them with these:
Store leftover mashed potatoes in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Leftovers can be microwaved in a microwave-safe dish in 1-minute intervals, stirring in between.
You can also turn your leftovers into something new like our air fryer mashed potato balls!
More vegan mashed potato recipes
Vegan Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 ½ lb russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (for the oil-free option, be sure to use an oil-free vegan cream cheese such as Kite Hill's almond milk cream cheese in the plain variety)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (you can substitute oat milk, if preferred - use a certified GF brand if needed - for the oil-free option be sure to check milk ingredient labels for oil)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste, if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (plus more to taste, if desired)
- Peel potatoes and then cut them into chunks that are all about the same size.
- Place potatoes into a 3- or 4-qt. stainless steel pot and cover with one inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender (approximately 10-15 minutes). Be careful not to overcook or the potatoes will become too starchy.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and then return them to the pot.
- Add vegan cream cheese and almond milk, and mix using an electric hand mixer until the ingredients are well combined and lumps are removed. Be sure not to overmix or the consistency of the potatoes will become too gluey.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Use more to taste, if desired.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.