This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also participate in additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
This Holiday Chickpea Veggie Loaf is packed with carrot, celery and onion and features the flavors of thyme and sage, making it the perfect vegan main course for the spring and winter holidays. This vegan "meatloaf" is gluten-free and nut-free too! Serve topped with our chickpea flour gravy for the ultimate holiday meal!
I seriously cannot believe that Thanksgiving is next week. Crazy, right? It feels like just yesterday it was still summer.
And this year, not only will I be celebrating Thanksgiving next Thursday, but I will also be celebrating my birthday. It just happens to fall on Thanksgiving every few years.
There's nothing better than a birthday where you're expected to eat all day!
I remember (back in my younger years) one Thanksgiving Eve when I went to a nightclub with my friends.
They just happened to tell the lead singer of the cover band that was playing that the next day was my birthday.
He invited me on stage and in front of the whole room, he asked me, "What's it like to have your birthday on Thanksgiving?"
I replied, "Well, you get to eat a lot!"
I looked out at the crowd and saw my friends hiding their faces. Hey, at least I was honest! 😉
So, speaking of eating a lot, let's get back to this vegan "meatloaf."
In addition to chickpeas as the base, this baby is packed with the traditional flavors of the Thanksgiving (and Christmas) holidays such as carrot, celery, onion, thyme and sage.
Top it with our vegan, gluten-free gravy and you have a winner of a holiday dinner!
How to Make This Veggie Loaf
Preheat oven to 400° F. Make flax eggs and set aside. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
Add chopped carrot, celery and onion and season with kosher salt. Cook on medium for 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent. Turn off heat and let stand for 1-2 minutes.
Add chickpeas, thyme, sage, white pepper, kosher salt and the chopped veggie mixture to a food processor.
Process on low or pulse until everything is well combined but not pureed, scraping down the sides as needed.
Transfer chickpea mixture to a mixing bowl. Add flax eggs, vegetable broth, gluten-free bread crumbs and chickpea flour and use a spoon to mix in.
Form the mixture into a loaf shape and press evenly into loaf pan greased with olive oil cooking spray.
Bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
Top with gravy and chow down! 😉
Sides to Serve with This Chickpea Loaf
- Cheesy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes with Almond Milk and Cream Cheese
- Steamed Broccoli and/or Cauliflower with Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Cashew Mac and Cheese
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Store leftover pieces of "meatloaf" in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat leftovers in a 400° F oven in a covered casserole dish that has been lightly coated with olive oil spray until warmed throughout.
Alternatively, you can also reheat on the stovetop in a nonstick pan that has been lightly coated with olive oil spray until warmed throughout, flipping a few times during heating.
If necessary, you can microwave the leftovers in 30-second intervals until warmed throughout.
Holiday Chickpea Veggie Loaf
- olive oil spray, for greasing the loaf pan
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium celery stalks (chopped)
- ¼ cup onion (chopped)
- ¾ tsp kosher salt (divided into ¼ and ½)
- (2) 15 oz. cans no salt added chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ cup gluten-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup plain vegan & gluten-free bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk ground flaxseed and water together with a fork and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add chopped carrot, celery and onion and season with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Cook on medium for 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent. Turn off heat and let stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, thyme, sage, white pepper, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and the chopped veggie mixture to a food processor. Process on low or pulse until everything is well combined but not pureed, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Transfer chickpea mixture to a mixing bowl. Use a spoon to stir in flax eggs, vegetable broth, gluten-free bread crumbs and chickpea flour.
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape and press evenly into greased loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Best enjoyed topped with gluten-free, vegan gravy.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.