This vegan nacho cheese sauce is rich, velvety and easy to make with a base of potatoes and carrots. This plant-based cheese sauce is nut-free and soy-free too. This flavorful vegan sauce is perfect for vegan nachos, tacos, and more!Jump to Recipe
I hope you have a stash of tortilla chips handy because you're gonna need 'em.
Because this nacho cheese sauce is seriously addictive.
It's actually based off my basic vegan cheese sauce recipe but with a bit of a kick to it.
So, what's in it?
So glad you asked!
Ingredients you'll need
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Nutritional Yeast
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Red Pepper Hot Sauce
- Chopped Jalapeno
How to make vegan nacho cheese sauce
Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into chunks, and add them to a 2-quart pot.
Cover with water, and bring to a boil and cook until tender (approximately 15 minutes).
Add nutritional yeast, water, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and hot sauce to a high-powered blender.
Drain the potatoes and carrots in a mesh strainer and add to the blender.
Secure the lid and blend on high.
Stop to scrape down the sides as needed, and keep blending until the ingredients are well-incorporated and the sauce is smooth and creamy (approximately 2 minutes).
If you prefer the sauce a little thinner, you can add 1-2 tablespoons more water.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with chopped jalapeno.
Now, grab those chips and
dig dip in!
If you're using for nachos or tacos, stir in the chopped jalapeno...
and pour on...generously. 😉
Not only is this vegan cheese perfect for nachos, but it's great for tacos too!
We love it with our smashed pinto bean tacos.
You can also use the sauce to jazz up a baked potato, sweet potato or even French fries.
Storing and reheating the sauce
Leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheat leftovers in a microwave safe dish in 15-second intervals, stirring in between.
You can also reheat in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until heated throughout.
For more veganized cheese recipes, check out these next:
- Vegan Parmesan
- Sunflower Seed Vegan Ricotta
You might also enjoy:
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 ¾ cup peeled and chopped yellow or gold potatoes (chopped into small pieces of similar size)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- ½ cup filtered water (plus more if needed)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon red pepper hot sauce (I used Cholula)
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Add the potatoes and carrots to a 2-quart pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add ½ cup water, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and red pepper hot sauce to a high-powered blender.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots in a mesh strainer (5 ½" or 7 ⅞" size) and add to the blender.
- Secure the lid and blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed, until the ingredients are well-incorporated and the sauce is smooth and creamy (approximately 2 minutes). If the sauce is too thick for your liking after you've used ½ cup water, you can add 1-2 tablespoons more water and blend again.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.
Yum I love vegan nacho cheese sauce and this sound sounds so good with that hot sauce incorporated right into it!
Thanks so much, Christie! Gotta have the hot sauce! 😉
WOW I’ve just made this recipe and tried a spoonful and I can really say it’s amazing!! Even better than “normal” cheese dip! I added a red onion to the boiling potatoes and carrots and I mixed pumpkin seeds with cashew nuts. I can’t wait to see peoples reactions when they try this dip and I’m sure they’ll ask for the recipe 🙂 Thank you so much! Can’t wait to try more from your blog!
Thank you so much, Svenja! I really appreciate that! 🙂 Love the idea of adding a red onion...will definitely have to try it out. Hope you have an awesome day!