Mayonnaise is the secret to making these Creamy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes just as good as their dairy-containing counterparts.
Yup, you DID read that correctly. It IS possible to make CREAMY dairy-free mashed potatoes.
Creamy mashed potatoes without milk, half-and-half, heavy cream or butter…
And without a dairy substitute!
Nooooooooooo, I haven’t lost my mind. It’s true. I promise.
So how did I do it?
Weeeell, it all started after Greg was diagnosed with IBS and as part of his diet plan, he is not supposed to have certain types of dairy products, milk and cream included. Although he is allowed to have butter, I made it my mission to create a truly dairy free mashed potato recipe that was just as delicious as our favorite cream-laden mashed potato dishes of the past.
Then I dared myself to make these mashed potatoes WITHOUT using a dairy substitute, such as a dairy-free milk or dairy-free butter.
The first ingredient I decided to use was chicken broth. I remembered watching commercials around Thanksgiving time that advertised making mashed potatoes with chicken broth. So I headed to the pantry and check! We have broth!
I got to work. I added my usual seasonings and the chicken broth. Then I mashed. Not creamy enough. So I added more broth. Still not creamy enough.
OOOOO KKKKK. Now what?
I opened the fridge and just stared. Hmm. Then I saw it. The jar of mayonnaise shining like it came from the heavens. Or maybe the fridge light just blinded me from staring too long. Well, whatever. Anyway, I took it out and thought, “do I dare put this mayonnaise in mashed potatoes?”
So I did and boy was I pleasantly surprised! Absolute perfection! Creamy dairy-free mashed potatoes have been achieved. Mission complete.
Now for the true test. Dinner…
The husband loved them and the kids never knew the difference! Seconds please 😉
8/24/17 – UPDATE: Please note that we have added a vegan option based on reader feedback.
Learn how to make them
To make these Creamy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes, start by peeling and cubing potatoes.
Next boil the potatoes until fork tender.
Then drain and return to pot. Add chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan option) and mix with a hand mixer.
Stir in mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise for vegan option), parsley, white pepper and salt and continue to mix with the hand mixer until all ingredients are evenly combined.
Take a big scoop and enjoy!
4/2/16 – UPDATE: We’ve added a video! To watch how these Creamy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes are made, watch our video below:
- 3 lb. Yukon gold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (for vegan option, use gluten-free vegetable broth)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (for vegan option, use vegan mayonnaise)
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Peel and cube potatoes so that they are uniform in size.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with one inch of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a steady rolling boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Be careful not to overcook or the potatoes will become too starchy.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pot.
- Add broth and mix using a hand mixer.
- Stir in mayonnaise, parsley, white pepper and salt.
- Mix again with the hand mixer until all ingredients are well combined and lumps are removed. Be sure not to overmix or the consistency of the potatoes will become too gluey.