This avocado pasta salad features a creamy arugula-avocado dressing in place of mayonnaise for a flavor-packed side dish without any added oils! This nutritious and unique pasta salad is naturally vegan and can easily be made gluten-free. Perfect for cookouts, potlucks, picnics and parties!Jump to Recipe
If you are looking for an easy and flavorful pasta salad with no mayo and no added oil, you've come to the right place.
Plus, with avocado as a replacement for the mayo or oil, you'll have a super creamy side dish that's loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber and a slew of vitamins and minerals.
A pasta salad that's nutritious and delicious...score!
Ingredients you'll need
For the pasta salad
- Pasta - I used shells but you can use your favorite brand/shape (gluten-free if needed)
- Grape Tomatoes
- Cannellini Beans
- Fresh Parsley
- Diced Avocado
- Salt & Pepper
For the dressing
- Baby Arugula
- Lemon Juice
- Chopped Shallot
- Salt & Pepper
How to make avocado pasta salad - step by step
Step 1 - Cook the pasta
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Step 2 - Make the dressing
While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing.
Add all of the dressing ingredients to a high-powered blender.
Blend on high until well-combined and creamy.
Step 3 - Drain the pasta
When the pasta is done, drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
Stir the pasta so that the additional water drains as well.
Allow to stand about 1-2 minutes.
Step 4 - Assemble the salad
Add the pasta to a large mixing bowl.
Add the dressing and stir to combine.
Mix in tomatoes and cannellini beans.
Stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
Fold in diced avocado.
Ideas for serving
We love this side salad alongside our baked BBQ tofu, sweet potato black bean burgers and our easy marinated tempeh.
It also pairs well with grilled portobello mushroom caps or your favorite veggie burgers.
It's a great dish to bring on a picnic or to a spring/summer gathering!
You can also enjoy it on its own for lunch.
Substitutions and variations
- Grape Tomatoes - You can try using chopped or julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes in place of the grape tomatoes. To keep this dish oil-free, be sure to use sun-dried tomatoes that are not packed in oil. You can also swap out the tomatoes for roasted red peppers instead.
- Cannellini Beans - You can use any variety of white bean or try swapping them out for chickpeas.
- Baby Arugula - You can try substituting the arugula in the dressing for fresh baby spinach leaves instead.
- Chopped Shallot - You can try swapping the shallot for the same amount of chopped red onion.
Storing the leftovers
This pasta salad is best enjoyed on the day it's made but will keep for up to 2 more days if needed. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More pasta salad recipes
Avocado Pasta Salad
FOR THE PASTA SALAD
- 8 oz pasta (GF if needed; *see notes below)
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- fine sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ of a medium avocado, peeled and diced
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 ½ medium avocados, peeled
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallot
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend on high until well-combined and creamy.
- When the pasta is done, drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Stir the pasta so that the additional water drains as well. Allow to stand about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and stir to combine.
- Mix in tomatoes and cannellini beans.
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
- Fold in diced avocado.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.
Healthy World Cuisine
Love your new website design, looks great! There is something so comforting about a bowl of pasta salad but when you add avocado this brings it over the top. Rich and creamy. Pinned to all of our favorite boards. Stay well and take care
Thanks so much, Bobbi! Avocado is just the best! 🙂 Hope all is well!
Sherri this avocado pasta salad sounds and looks so creamy and divine! I love avocado cream on pasta. There's something so good about it. I like that you added some beans and tomatoes to yours!
Thanks Christie! Avocados are just the best! 🙂