This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
This Baked Balsamic Bruschetta is the perfect party appetizer! To make this vegan bruschetta, lightly-oiled gluten-free bread is topped with a balsamic-marinated mixture of tomatoes, garlic and onion and sprinkled with vegan Parmesan and fresh basil for a delicious flavor combination.
When I first made this balsamic bruschetta recipe, it was waaaaaaaaaay back in 2015…before my husband and I were gluten-free…and before I was vegan.
So, I wanted to give it a gluten-free and vegan makeover because, well, this recipe is the bomb!
Seriously, the flavor combination of the balsamic-marinated tomato mixture, the vegan Parmesan and the fresh basil is like a party in your mouth.
But, if you’re having a party in your house (or somewhere else), that works too! 😉
Even if you’re not having a party, you can still serve this appetizer for pasta night or just because. 🙂
What ingredients are in this gluten-free, vegan bruschetta?
First and foremost, you need a gluten-free and vegan bread. I chose to use a Schar baguette because it worked so well in my gluten-free garlic bread.
Of course, you can use any gluten-free, vegan baguette or Italian bread that you’re able to find at the store or bakery, or you can make your own if you have a recipe you love to use.
Other than the bread, you’ll also need the following:
- Ripe tomatoes (I used “on the vine” tomatoes)
- Sweet onion
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Shredded vegan Parmesan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart brand)
- Fresh basil
How to Make Balsamic Bruschetta
First, you’ll need four medium-sized ripe tomatoes.
Next, dice the tomatoes and add them to a container with a tight-fitting lid.
You can discard any loose clumps of watery seeds that might fall out during the dicing process.
Chop the onion and garlic and add to the the tomatoes.
Add salt to taste and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You can marinate up to 24 hours in advance.
When you are ready to make the bruschetta, preheat your oven to 425° F. Then, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
Add the tomato mixture to the pan and saute until the balsamic vinegar has reduced, approximately 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside until ready to use.
Slice the bread into ½-inch thick pieces. If you’re using the Schar bread, you’ll have approximately 24 slices.
Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Using a silicone pastry brush, lightly brush olive oil onto each slice.
Traditionally, garlic is also rubbed onto the bread, but as you may know, rubbing things onto soft gluten-free bread is a disaster waiting to happen. 😉
So, instead the garlic is in with the tomato mixture.
Bake the bread slices for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
Top each slice with the tomato mixture until you’ve used it up.
Add shredded vegan Parmesan cheese to each slice.
Bake for 5 more minutes. Then, switch to your oven’s broil setting and broil for 1-2 minutes until edges of the bread slices turn golden brown. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
Top with fresh, chopped basil and serve.
Can I leave off the vegan Parmesan?
Yes, if you prefer, you can leave off the cheese and the bruschetta will still be delicious without it.
Can I omit the oil?
Yes, you can omit the oil; however, the flavor does complement the balsamic tomato mixture nicely. It also helps crisp up the bread. But, you can definitely make this without it. Just skip that step and bake the bread slices dry until lightly toasted before adding the tomato mixture.
Looking for more vegan appetizers? Try one of these next:
- Baked Tofu Bites
- Air Fryer Mashed Potato Balls
- Salt & Pepper Air Fryer Tofu
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chickpea Meatballs
Baked Balsamic Bruschetta
- 4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, diced (I used "on the vine" tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Vegan and Gluten-Free Baguette (I used Schar brand)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp shredded vegan Parmesan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart brand)
- Chopped fresh basil, to taste
- Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Add salt to taste and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (you can marinate for up to 24 hours).
- When you are ready to make the bruschetta, preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the tomato mixture to the pan and saute until the balsamic vinegar has reduced, approximately 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside until ready to use.
- Slice bread into approximately 1/2 inch thick pieces and arrange in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Using a silicone pastry brush, lightly brush olive oil onto each slice. Bake for 5 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Top each slice with the tomato mixture until used up. Then, top with the shredded vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 more minutes. Then, switch to your oven's broil setting and broil for 1-2 minutes until edges of the bread slices turn golden brown. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Top with fresh, chopped basil and serve.
This post originally appeared on Watch Learn Eat on March 31, 2015. It has been republished to reflect both recipe and photo revisions. Changes to the story were also made.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.