This crunchy, buttery vegan and gluten-free garlic bread is incredibly easy to make in just 15 minutes and with only 6 ingredients! This garlic bread is the perfect side for pasta night, or you can serve it with your favorite tomato sauce for an irresistible party appetizer.
Let's cut to the chase.
In order to make this garlic bread recipe, you need one VERY important ingredient...gluten-free bread.
But to make real garlic bread, not just garlic "toast," you need a gluten-free baguette.
And so, we face the "most wheat-based baguettes are vegan and most gluten-free baguettes are not" conundrum.
Although this typically holds true with most shapes of bread, it is a tad bit easier to find a store-bought loaf of sliced bread that meets both criteria.
Now, unless you're going to make your own bread from scratch, you need to locate a store-bought brand that works.
This brand makes a dairy-free and egg-free baguette that is not only certified gluten-free, but was also confirmed to me to be vegan-friendly by the company via email (Please note that not all of their products are vegan, so it's important to read the ingredient labels or contact the company).
The baguette comes in a 2-pack, but we love it so much, we only had one left. 🙂
I buy the Schar baguette on the Thrive Market website; however, if you're not a Thrive Market member, you can use the store locator on the Schar website to find a store near you that carries the product.
If you're interested in becoming a Thrive Market member, check out the company's website here.
Of course, you can use any gluten-free, vegan baguette of your choosing.
And if you are not vegan or are not avoiding dairy or eggs, feel free to use a gluten-free baguette that is not vegan.
How to Make This Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
First, preheat your oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the baguette on a cutting board.
Then, slice the baguette in half horizontally.
Place both halves with the insides facing up on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes until the edges of the bread are lightly toasted.
I often prebake gluten-free bread and dough because it helps keep them from falling apart or becoming too mushy.
While the bread is in the oven, melt vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
Add garlic-infused olive oil, chopped parsley and salt.
I find that the garlic-infused olive oil gives the bread a nice, rustic roasted garlic flavor which is why I use it instead of fresh garlic. It also saves time by not having to peel and chop garlic.
In addition, many people with garlic sensitivity can often tolerate garlic-infused olive oil.
If you don't have or are unable to get garlic-infused olive oil, you can use regular extra virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
Stir to combine.
Dip a silicone pastry brush into the butter mixture and brush it evenly onto both halves until it is used up.
Sprinkle paprika to taste over top of each half of bread.
Bake for 5-8 more minutes until edges are golden brown.
Cut into slices of desired size and serve.
Can I use regular butter?
Yes, if you are not vegan or avoiding dairy, feel free to use a dairy-based butter instead of the vegan butter.
Can I add cheese?
Yes! If you want to add some traditional Parmesan or mozzarella or vegan Parmesan-style or vegan mozzarella-style shredded cheese, add it right after the butter mixture before topping with paprika.
You can then bake as directed or place the bread under the broiler for about 2 minutes to melt the cheese, ensuring you watch it the entire time as it can quickly burn.
What can I serve this bread with?
This garlic bread makes a great appetizer served with a side of your favorite tomato sauce for dipping.
It's also the perfect accompaniment for pasta, soup and risotto.
Try it with these dishes:
- Pasta or veggie noodles with vegan Bolognese
- Pasta or veggie noodles with pumpkin tomato sauce
- Vegan pasta fagioli soup
- Creamy vegan white bean soup
- Vegan lemon risotto
For another gluten-free Italian-inspired appetizer, try our baked balsamic bruschetta next.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
- 1 vegan and gluten-free baguette (I used Schar brand; if you are not vegan, feel free to use a non-vegan gluten-free bread; if you are not avoiding gluten, feel free to use a traditional baguette)
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter (if you are not vegan or avoiding dairy, feel free to use traditional butter)
- 2 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil, extra virgin (alternatively, you can use regular extra virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons of garlic powder)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, not packed and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- paprika to taste, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the baguette in half horizontally. Place both halves with the insides facing up on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes until the edges of the bread are lightly toasted.
- While the bread is in the oven, melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add garlic-infused olive oil, chopped parsley and salt. Stir to combine.
- Dip a silicone pastry brush into the butter mixture and brush it evenly onto both halves until it is used up. Sprinkle paprika to taste over top of each half of bread. Bake for 5-8 more minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Cut into slices of desired size and serve.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.