This creamy Buffalo hummus combines the tanginess and spiciness of Buffalo sauce with the coolness of vegan blue cheese dressing that is sure to delight your taste buds. This flavorful chickpea dip is perfect with carrots, celery, cucumbers, pretzels, tortilla chips and more!Jump to Recipe
If you love the combination of blue cheese and Buffalo sauce but happen to be dairy-free or vegan, this is the dip for you!
It's perfect for serving at a game day party or just because you crave that Buffalo sauce flavor.
Ingredients you'll need
- Aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid)
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce (I used Frank's RedHot brand)
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing (homemade or store-bought)
- Scallions or Chives (for garnish)
How to make vegan Buffalo hummus with blue cheese
First, you'll need to make the vegan blue cheese dressing following the directions in this post if you're going to use a homemade version. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
If you're using store-bought vegan blue cheese dressing, you can skip this step.
Add the chickpeas, aquafaba, Buffalo sauce, garlic, lemon juice and salt to the bowl of your food processor.
Begin processing on low speed, slowly adding olive oil through the feed tube while processing.
Once you've used up the olive oil, process on high speed until smooth and creamy and no chunks remain.
You may have to stop to scrape down the sides and then continue processing.
Once the hummus has a smooth consistency, transfer to serving bowl.
Use a spoon to make a well in the middle of the hummus.
Fill the well with ¼ cup of vegan blue cheese dressing.
Garnish with additional Buffalo sauce and scallions or chives.
What to serve with this hummus
Serve with fresh veggies such as celery, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini or broccoli or with your favorite gluten-free pretzels or tortilla chips.
Can I leave out the blue cheese?
Yes, you can omit the blue cheese dressing and make a Buffalo hummus instead of a Buffalo blue cheese hummus.
Storing the hummus
This hummus is best when enjoyed on the same day; however, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Buffalo Chickpea Meatballs
- Buffalo Chickpea Burgers
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Basic Hummus Without Tahini
- Avocado Hummus
Buffalo Blue Cheese Hummus
- 1 (15 oz.) can no salt added chickpeas / garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, 2 tablespoon of the liquid (aquafaba) reserved
- 2 tablespoon aquafaba
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce, plus more for garnish if desired (I used Frank's RedHot)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup vegan blue cheese dressing (*homemade or store-bought)
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- If you are making homemade vegan blue cheese dressing, follow these directions. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Note that the flavor is best if you let the dressing chill for at least 2 hours. If you are using store-bought, skip to the next step.
- Add the chickpeas, aquafaba, Buffalo sauce, garlic, lemon juice and salt to the bowl of your food processor. Begin processing on low speed, slowly adding olive oil through the feed tube while processing. After the olive oil has been added, process on high speed until smooth and creamy and no chunks remain. You may have to stop to scrape down the sides and then continue processing until the hummus has a smooth consistency.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Use a spoon to make a well in the middle of the hummus. Fill the well with the vegan blue cheese dressing. Garnish with additional Buffalo sauce and scallions or chives.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
This post originally appeared on Watch Learn Eat on May 23, 2016. It has been republished to reflect both recipe and photo revisions. Changes to the story were also made.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.
This is genius. I love hummus. Such a great idea to add the buffalo sauce and bleu cheese flavors! I bet it's to-die-for!
Thanks Michele! 🙂
Claire | The Simple, Sweet Life
I haven't ever made hummus but this sounds too good to pass up! I'm definitely going to have to give this recipe a try! 🙂
Thanks Claire! Hope you enjoy! Hummus is so easy to make, and there are so many combinations!
Well, I love different variations of hummus as it is so easy to make and has lots of flavors. Your version sounds really nice, I should definitely try it!)
Thanks so much Veronika! Hope you do!
I'm always looking for new hummus recipes to put in our lunches and this buffalo version sounds incredible! Pinning for later.
Thank you Jessica! 🙂
Well, we do like hummus. We do like buffalo wings. We do like blue cheese. Why we hadn't thought of putting it all together is a mystery to me. Thank you for the inspiration because the hummus sounds and looks amazing.
LOL! Thanks so much Marisa! 🙂
Such a fun and tasty twist on hummus! I have to give this a try...I love this idea and I bet it is absolutely delish!
Thanks so much Tammy! It's so delicious!
I was going to write a few words about the recipe but the fact that you have fever makes me want to say this: get better soon! 🙂 I hope that it is not flu after all.
Thanks so much Elaine! It ended up not being the flu...yay! 🙂
I'm loving this buffalo hummus! I love all things buffalo and I love hummus as well so the is my destiny!
Buffalo sauce and blue cheese were meant for each other! Thanks so much Holly! 🙂