This avocado hummus recipe combines creamy avocado, chickpeas, garlic and lime with a touch of hot sauce and cayenne pepper.
Today was the first day of Spring.
As you can see by the photograph, here in New Jersey, Spring greeted us with a beautiful blanket of snow. I know you cannot hear the sarcastic tone with which that was written, but it’s there. Trust me. 🙂
In celebration of the season characterized by rebirth and regrowth, I decided to make something “green” to symbolize the return of plant life. Although I do not see the prospect of abundant plant life in the very near future, it’s nice to anticipate its upcoming arrival and remain hopeful that this is our final snowfall until next winter.
This Avocado Hummus combines chickpeas, avocado, cilantro and lime with hot sauce and cayenne pepper for a fresh, light flavor with a tiny dose of heat reminiscent of a typical spring day – brisk and fresh with a just splash of warmth.
Learn how to make it
To make this avocado hummus, start by adding all of the ingredients, with the exception of the olive oil, to the bowl of a food processor.
Process on low speed, slowly adding the olive oil. After all of the olive oil has been added, process on high speed, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once all of the ingredients have incorporated, no chunks remain and the hummus has a creamy consistency, you are ready to serve!
Enjoy this Avocado Hummus with baby carrots, tortilla chips, pita chips or pretzels.
PS – There was one person who enjoyed the snow today 🙂
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Add chickpeas, avocado, cilantro, garlic, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and lime juice to the bowl of a food processor.
- Begin processing on low speed.
- While processing, slowly add the olive oil.
- Process on high speed until smooth and creamy and no chunks remain. You may have to stop to scrape down the sides and continue processing.
- Once the avocado hummus has a smooth consistency, transfer to serving bowl and enjoy!
If you like this Avocado Hummus, try our Cannellini Bean and Avocado Hummus next!