This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
This Creamy Mushroom Dip combines two kinds of mushrooms and a blend of Italian grated cheeses to create a warm appetizer your guests will love.
I’m so excited to share this Creamy Mushroom Dip! Why? Um, because MUSHROOMS. Oh, and CHEESE…
♪ These are just two of my favorite things. ♪ Yes, I know the holidays are over, BUT it’s technically NOT a Christmas song, so…
Anyway, holidays or not, this dip is a real crowd-pleaser. It’s a perfect party appetizer for any get-together and can be enjoyed with fresh veggies, tortilla chips, crackers, pretzels, crostini or any dipping device you desire.
I started making this Creamy Mushroom Dip shortly after Greg and I got married. It was always one of our favorites UNTIL Greg got his IBS diagnosis and had to lay low on the dairy.
HOWEVER, he has gradually been able to tolerate some more dairy products in small quantities, so we decided to make this blast from our past together this New Year’s holiday. In fact, we now have a new member of our mushroom dip fan club…our 8-year old daughter, Londyn.
Never having tasted a mushroom before, she smelled the magical aroma of creamy deliciousness emanating from the oven and she just HAD to try some. I mean, who could resist? 😉
In any event, I wish one of us took a picture when she took her first bite. She didn’t have to say a thing; her big, bulging eyes told me everything. She was hooked!
And if you’re a mushroom lover, you will be too, so let’s get on with the recipe…
How to make this mushroom dip
First, preheat your oven to 375° F. Then, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes until tender.
Next, combine the mushroom mixture with cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, parsley, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a large mixing bowl. You can lighten up the recipe by using reduced-fat cream cheese and light mayonnaise in place of their full-fat counterparts.
Spoon the dip into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining grated cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
Creamy Mushroom Dip
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms (chopped)
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mushroom mixture with cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, parsley, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Spray 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and then add in dip. Ensure it has been evenly distributed in the casserole. Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until top is lightly browned.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.