This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This creamy white bean soup combines cannellini beans, scallions and fresh herbs to create an earthy flavor that will warm up even the coldest of days.
I’ll let you in on a little secret…
I originally posted this soup in early 2014. But now, it’s gotten a makeover after receiving requests for dairy-free and vegan options.
Now that it’s fall, I’ve been craving soup in a major way. And I am a person who looooves creamy soups, like cream of mushroom, tomato bisque and all of those other dairy filled varieties.
To make this dairy-free version, I decided to use canned coconut milk instead of the half-and-half.
The result was amazing! The soup was even creamier than the original recipe. And the taste…well, I kept on testing and testing and testing some more…you get the picture. I couldn’t stop myself. Plus, Greg was on the phone so he wasn’t paying attention 🙂
Seriously though, the coconut milk perfectly complemented the flavors of the garlic, scallions, rosemary and parsley.
Whether you choose to make this soup with or without dairy, you won’t be disappointed.
To make this Creamy White Bean Soup, start by heating olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add scallions, garlic and beans. Stir to combine.
Add rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
Cook bean mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Then, add chicken broth and bring soup to a simmer. For a vegan option, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before pureeing with an immersion blender.
Stir in coconut milk or half-and-half and return to a simmer, cooking for 5 more minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy! 🙂
Creamy White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt and more to taste if desired
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and more to taste if desired
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of low sodium gluten-free chicken broth (for vegan / vegetarian option, use gluten-free vegetable broth)
- ½ cup coconut milk (you can use half-and-half if not dairy-free or vegan)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add scallions, garlic and beans. Stir to combine.
- Add rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth or vegetable broth and bring soup to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree mixture, being careful not to splash hot liquid (Make sure there are no whole or chunks of beans left).
- Stir in coconut milk or half-and-half and return to a simmer, cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase from Amazon through our link.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.