This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my full disclosure here.
These Cheesy Vegan Almond Flour Biscuits are the perfect dinner biscuits to serve alongside your favorite meal. These gluten-free drop biscuits are easy to make in just one bowl and require only seven ingredients! On top of that, these vegan biscuits are also oil-free, but still have a buttery flavor without using vegan butter!
♪ Just sit right back and you’ll read a tale, a tale of a thirsty trip…
That started with two people, orange juice and a biscuit. ♫
The year was 2002. Maybe it was 2003. Either way, it was in my pre-vegan and gluten-free days.
Anyway, Greg and I had just stopped at a fast food joint for take out breakfast.
I ordered my favorite item, a plain biscuit with four packets of butter. Yes, I said four, but now is not the time to judge my dairy-laden past…lol
So, as I was saying…
I was in my happy place, enjoying my biscuit…
As I reached for a sip of juice to wash it all down, I noticed Greg guzzling the remaining contents of the ONE bottle of orange juice we ordered for two people for some reason (probably to save money or something).
Um, hello! Remember, me? Your wife? The person you were supposed to be SHARING that juice with?
All I got was, “Sorry, I thought you were done.”
I think I gave him the evil eye in between episodes of nearly choking to death. I was so parched. 😉
So, the lesson here is…don’t be cheap and always by two drinks…lol
I haven’t been eating too many biscuits these days since giving up wheat and dairy.
That is, not until I started experimenting with some gluten-free, vegan versions.
Well, I did a complete 180° when I created these biscuits because not only do they not have milk or cheese, but they don’t even have vegan butter!
Yup, these babies are completely oil-free!
So, what is in them? So glad you asked…
Ingredients in these gluten-free, vegan biscuits
- Almond Flour: This is what makes these biscuits gluten-free, but also gives them their buttery flavor without using vegan butter. It’s also naturally more moist than other flours which also helps. The best flour to use to achieve a light and fluffy texture is very fine, blanched almond flour. You don’t want to use almond meal or an almond flour that is coarsely ground. Personally, my go-to is Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour, but you can opt for your favorite brand.
- Almond Milk: You want to use a plain/unflavored, unsweetened variety.
- Aquafaba: Although traditional wheat-based biscuits do not use eggs, many gluten-free biscuits often do to help leaven, bind and keep them moist. In this recipe, the magic of aquafaba has allowed these biscuits to be both egg-free and oil-free. Just be sure to use aquafaba from a no salt added can of chickpeas.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is the “cheese” that makes these biscuits “cheesy” (like me). 😉
- Baking Powder: You can use a grain-free baking powder, such as Pamela’s, if you need to keep these biscuits grain-free. Otherwise, you can just use a regular baking powder which contains cornstarch.
- Salt: Just a basic kosher salt will do the trick.
- Chives: The chives give the biscuits a nice mild onion flavor which complements the “cheesiness.” I used organic dried chives and have not tested the recipe with fresh chives.
How to make these almond flour biscuits
Start by preheating your oven to 375° F. Add almond flour, aquafaba, almond milk, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt and chives to a mixing bowl.
Stir to combine.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop out biscuit dough. Drop biscuit dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Use your fingers and lightly press down on each biscuit.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until biscuits are set and the tops are turning a light golden brown color.
What to serve these vegan, gluten-free biscuits with
- Vegan “Chicken” Noodle Soup
- Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Pasta & Rice:
- Chickpea Veggie Loaf with Vegan Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes and Chickpea Flour Gravy and your favorite steamed veggies
- Marinated Tempeh with steamed broccoli and Vegan Cheese Sauce
Cheesy Vegan Almond Flour Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add almond flour, aquafaba, almond milk, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt and chives to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out biscuit dough I recommend a #24 or #30 disher). Drop each scoop of biscuit dough onto the baking sheet. Use your fingers and lightly press down on each biscuit.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until biscuits are set and the tops are turning a light golden brown color.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.