Kidney beans, chickpeas and cannellini beans are tossed with red onion and fresh parsley in a tangy vinaigrette with a hint of sweetness to create this flavorful three-bean salad that's easy to make in just 10 minutes. This simple, naturally vegan and gluten-free side dish is perfect for cookouts, BBQs, picnics and potlucks.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's super simple to make in just 10 minutes with easy-to-find ingredients!
- This version is lower in sugar than the traditional and uses agave as opposed to white granulated sugar.
- This side salad pairs with almost any main course and is perfect alongside your favorite spring and summer BBQ or picnic fare.
- It's a favorite among vegans, vegetarians and omnivores!
Ingredients you'll need
- Canned Chickpeas
- Canned Dark Red Kidney Beans
- Canned Cannellini beans
- Red Onion
- Fresh Parsley
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Agave (can substitute with maple syrup instead, if preferred)
How to make it
Add chickpeas, kidney beans, cannellini beans to a large mixing bowl.
Add olive oil, vinegar, agave, salt and pepper to a small bowl.
Whisk to combine until ingredients are well incorporated.
Add chopped red onion, chopped parsley and the dressing to the beans.
Use a large spoon or silicone spatula to gently combine.
Taste test and add more salt if desired.
Frequently asked questions
Serve alongside your favorite picnic or BBQ fare such as sandwiches, wraps, veggie burgers, tofu skewers, grilled tempeh and more.
This salad is best served at room temperature, but can be enjoyed cold as well. Although it is best enjoyed on the same day that it's made, it will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More vegan side salads
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- Hummus Pasta Salad
- Southwest Lentil Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (you can use pure maple syrup instead, if preferred)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Add chickpeas, kidney beans, cannellini beans, onion and parsley to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl or mason jar, add olive oil, vinegar, agave, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, or if using a mason jar, seal and shake until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture. Use a large spoon or silicone spatula to gently combine. Taste test and add more salt if desired.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.