This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also participate in additional affiliate programs. Please read my full disclosure here.
This simple and flavorful cucumber and tomato salad is light, refreshing and takes just minutes to make with only a few ingredients. Perfect for serving as a summer side salad, a light lunch or an appetizer for pasta night all year long!
One of my absolute favorite items to order at Italian restaurants is the cucumber and tomato salad.
It's such a light and refreshing salad that's perfect either as an appetizer or as a side.
And if I'm really lucky, the restaurant will have some homemade gluten-free bread to go along with it.
But when I'm craving this salad, I know I don't have to wait until we go out to eat because it's super easy to make at home!
In fact, it literally takes 10 minutes or less to put this dish together.
If you're a super-skilled knife-wielding Ninja, you can probably do it in 5 lol. 😉
How to make it - step by step
Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
How many calories are in this salad?
I need to serve more people. Can I double the recipe?
Ideas for serving
You can also pair it with your favorite gluten-free bread (plain or made into garlic bread).
It's also great for serving with your favorite barbecue fare such as grilled portobello mushroom caps or grilled marinated tempeh.
Substitutions and variations
- If you prefer, you can replace the red wine vinegar with balsamic vinegar instead.
- If you'd like, you can also mix in some fresh chopped basil.
- For a twist, you can also serve this salad over some baby arugula and then top it with chopped avocado. FYI, I did this with my leftovers and it was ah-mazing! 😉
- You can also try tossing in some cannellini beans, chickpeas or olives (I recommend Kalamata or oil-cured black olives).
Storing the leftovers
This salad is best enjoyed the same day it's made; however you can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 more days.
You might also enjoy:
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (approximately 10-14 oz.)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar (substitute with balsamic vinegar if preferred)
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- fine sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes and red onion to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl or pourable vessel (such as a Pyrex measuring cup), whisk together oil, vinegar and Italian seasoning with a fork. Pour over the cucumber, tomato and onion mixture. Stir to combine.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.