Basic Risotto Recipe
This basic risotto recipe is delicious, creamy and easy to make and features two types of cheese, Parmesan and Pecorino Romano.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 -6
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans less-sodium, fat free chicken broth (use a gluten-free broth to keep the recipe gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strands (broken up into smaller pieces with your fingers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (do not rinse)
- 1/2 cup white wine (preferably Pinot Grigio)
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt to taste
Warm chicken broth in a pot and sprinkle in saffron.
Heat butter and olive oil in a wide pan until butter is melted.
Add the onion and cook over medium heat until it becomes translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add the rice and stir until it is well coated.
Add one ladleful (approximately 1/4 cup) of broth and stir.
When broth is absorbed, add the wine and stir.
Once wine is absorbed, add broth one ladleful at a time, adding more broth as it is absorbed, stirring consistently. Continue this process until rice is just tender and has a creamy consistency (will take about 20-25 minutes from this point).
Once the rice is creamy and you have used all or most of your broth (you might not need it all), stir in both cheeses and remove from heat.
Add kosher salt to taste if desired.