This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili features tri-color bell peppers and three kinds of beans, but the true star is the butternut squash. Keep it totally vegan by using vegan toppings such as fresh cilantro or scallions.
WARNING! This Slow Cooker Vegan Chili is so good, you will not miss the meat!
How do I know this? Weeeeeeell, a little birdie told me.
OK, fine…it wasn’t a birdie; it was a man.
And he wasn’t little; he was pretty tall.
Soooo, of course I am talking about Greg and how he repeatedly stated several times throughout eating this meal: “You don’t need the meat…you just don’t need it.”
Not only do you not “need the meat,” but you also do not need cheese or sour cream.
Yeah I said it. The cheese lover has spoken. Now if you’ll excuse me, I would like to get back to talking about this chili.
What makes this chili special is not the three kinds of beans. Nor is it the colorful red, yellow and orange bell peppers. It’s not the combination of spices either. It is the star ingredient…
DRUM ROLL PLEASE…
This autumn favorite has a meaty texture, yet adds a sweet and subtle flavor to this dish. Combined with protein packed pinto, dark kidney and cannellini beans, you really won’t miss the meat in this chili.
So back to the topic of cheese. Trust me. You don’t need it or the sour cream. The butternut squash adds the perfect amount of creaminess to this meal. Instead, top with fresh cilantro and scallions to complement the flavors found in this chili.
Now for the best part…
This vegan and gluten-free slow cooker recipe is super easy to make!
How to make Vegetarian Chili in the Slow Cooker
Start by adding beans, bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, garlic, butternut squash, crushed tomatoes and seasonings to your slow cooker. Then, stir to combine all ingredients, cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
When you’re ready to enjoy, top with fresh cilantro and scallions and dig in! You can also top with our homemade guacamole. 🙂
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 orange bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 (20 oz.) package cubed butternut squash (approximately 4 1/2 cups)
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes in a thick puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Chopped scallions (for garnish)
- Add beans, bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, garlic, butternut squash, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve topped with cilantro and scallions.
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and images are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.