If you're a fan of mozzarella sticks, you have got to try making them in the air fryer!
Cooking frozen foods in the air fryer is my absolute favorite way to make them.
Take these easy air fryer recipes, like our air fryer frozen pizza rolls, air fryer frozen pierogies, air fryer frozen dumplings, air fryer frozen egg rolls, air fryer bagel bites, air fryer frozen sweet potato fries and air fryer frozen tater tots for example.
I mean, there's no waiting for the conventional oven to preheat and no messy deep fryer to clean up.
In fact, there's absolutely no additional oil needed to cook frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer.
And they come out perfectly crispy on the outside with a soft, melty, cheesy center. 🙂
Why you'll love this recipe
- Frozen cheese sticks are a tasty snack and an extremely easy recipe for adults and kids alike.
- Cheesy goodness wrapped up tightly in a crispy outer shell.
- A delicious snack, ready in a matter of minutes without having to go to a restaurant.
- Air frying is healthier than deep frying, using less oil but still achieving those crispy out, gooey cheese inside results you crave.
- They're the perfect easy appetizer for football season or any gameday celebrations.
- No prep work, or really any work needed for the best Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks.
So what are you waiting for?
Let's get this cheesy party started...
Ingredients you'll need
Technically, you only need ONE ingredient...12 frozen mozzarella sticks!
However, most people (myself included) like to serve the cheese sticks with some tomato or marinara sauce on the side.
You can also garnish this great snack with some grated cheese and/or parsley or Italian seasoning if you'd like.
How to air fry frozen mozzarella sticks
If your air fryer has a separate elevated crisping tray or plate, be sure to insert it.
Add the mozzarella sticks to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Set the air fryer to 390° F and cook for 5 minutes.
Check for doneness (they're done when they are golden brown and just before the cheese starts to ooze out of the crispy mozzarella sticks).
If not done, return the basket of air fryer mozzarella cheese sticks to the air fryer and cook for 1-3 more minutes.
Garnish with grated Parmesan and/or parsley or Italian seasoning and serve with a side dish of tomato sauce, your favorite marinara sauce, garlic pizza sauce, or another favorite dipping sauce, if desired.
Enjoy your air fryer cheese sticks!
I used a 5.5 quart Ninja air fryer, but you can use any air fryer to make them.
This is a nice multifunctional, large air fryer, perfect for making crispy, gooey mozzarella sticks.
Note that if you use a smaller air fryer, you may have to work in batches.
Storing and reheating
Store leftover mozzarella sticks in aluminum foil, a zip top bag, or an airtight container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The easiest way to reheat leftovers is in the air fryer or the oven/toaster oven.
- For best results, be sure to place the mozzarella sticks in a single layer so that they are not overlapping. This will ensure even cooking by being able to easily move the hot air around. If you can't fit all 12 without them overlapping, you will need to do this in two batches of 6 rather than all 12 at once.
- If you are working these frozen sticks in batches, the mozzarella sticks will cook quicker and may be done at the 5 minute mark. If you are cooking all 12 at once, you will most likely have to continue to cook for a total of 7-8 minutes.
- You do not need to preheat the air fryer before cooking the frozen mozzarella sticks; however if you do wish to use a preheated air fryer, note that you may need to reduce the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- For even more flavor, sprinkle some garlic powder on the mozz sticks before you fry them.
- Air fryer cook times can vary based on make and model, consult your owner's manual if necessary to learn more about your air fryer before using it.
Frequently asked questions
It takes about 5-8 minutes to cook up to 12 frozen mozzarella sticks in an air fryer.
I found that frozen mozzarella cheese sticks cook best at 390° F in the air fryer.
The ease of this recipe will quickly show you how making frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer really is the best way to make them.
Just a few minutes stand between you and the best frozen mozzarella stick recipe! Frozen cheese sticks will become your family's favorite frozen food snacks in no time!
More air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks (Frozen)
- 12 frozen mozzarella sticks
- side of marinara or tomato sauce for serving (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- parsley/Italian seasoning for garnish (optional)
- If your air fryer has a separate elevated crisping tray or plate, be sure to insert it. Add the mozzarella sticks to the air fryer basket in a *single layer.
- Set the air fryer to 390° F and cook for 5 minutes. Check for doneness (they're done when golden brown and just before the cheese starts to break through). If not done, return the basket to the air fryer and cook for 1-3 more minutes, checking for doneness at 1-minute intervals.
- Garnish and serve with a side of tomato or marinara sauce if desired.
(Please refer to the post above for instructional photographs and other helpful information for this recipe)
©Watch Learn Eat. All content and images are copyright protected. Recipes and photos are not to be used or republished without prior permission. If you adapt this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post for the original recipe.
Leave a Reply